Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Plinky
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Advise; Electronic Dog Fence

Advise; Electronic Dog Fence

Dont know if this has been discussed here before but any info, pros or cons etc would be appreciated.
    Electronic dog containment system does it work, cheers in advance.

Ive seen it on one property...buried wire and dogs have flash harry collars on..when approach fence it warns the n zaps..yip seemed to work VERY well.... but dont know if would trust it 100% if really tempting situation or serious shit was going down,I think dog would just bolt on through.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yea ive wondered that as well. Or if they would have learnt the boundry if not wearing collar

oh dont worry they KNOW if collar is on or off..and if fence is on or off....

Used one for about ten years for my two. Very effective. Avoid the cheapo Chinese ones, Petsafe is a good brand. I use the radio beacon system they do, no buried wires and perimeter set by adjusting transmit power, rechargeable collars are the go as batteries are about $15 a pop and last about three months. This system is also easily portable for camping, visiting friends etc. Depending on property you might have reduced boundary due to buildings etc, metal kennel is definitely a no no. Set up and walk the property to find the perimeter and adjust as necessary. System has anti run through so the dogs get increasing shock to turn them around which works well. Collar beeps when they are at the limit. The dogs know within one step where they can go and learn quick! My gobshites learnt if the collar didn’t beep (flat battery) they could plan their next colditz escape. My section is fully fenced but they’re wee bastards at climbing and digging.
    rugerman, Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

Yeh, I see heaps of made in china options on trademe.
    I just want to keep a guard type dog in my yard, doing his job... and not sniffing out bitches down the road.

yeah good luck with THAT.......
    rugerman likes this.

Chinese ones are unreliable, I thought trademe had banned their sale on the site. Pretty confident the brand I mentioned would work for you, stopped mine going next door to murder chickens and the neighbourhood cats used to sit on the other side of the boundary to torment the dogs. One thing I did work out you need to set the collar at a reasonably high setting, like 3 or 4 out of five.
    Cheapest option for buying is eBay even paying the freight a lot less than here. Units run off 12v so might need to get a power pack locally