Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Bad dog foods

Its amazing really guys and not try to sound over the top but being the occasional romantic drama queen that I am its almost like hearing someone say I used to play with loaded firearms when I was a kid and point them at mates but no one was killed -just because no one died it dont make it good .

Lets take the advice offered and teach others the good and bad of what to give our very much loved dogs the food to eat and to shy away from
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

the amount of avocados required to poison a medium sized dog is rediculas.

I run an avocado orchard and my dog just goes and helps its self to them when ever it pleases, before I knew they were poisenious I once fed my dog probably 15 large avos just about one after the other as we went walking around the orchard. no ill effects.
    she is a medium sized english springer spaniel

Avos are also poisonous to parrots. just FYI.

the amount to kill a dog is at least 35-40 - a few is fine. it is all about risk x exposure. this is coming from a food scientist I talked to after he talked at a conference I was at.

if your dog chokes on a stone thats just bad luck.

add corn cobs to the list of dog killers too.

The list is a bit doubtful.... In this area (KATIKATI) half of the dogs in the district self feed on Avacados... they're everywhere and the dogs get overweight on them fast... probably the biggest danger.
    Grape Skins are lethal in large quantities, a friend who works at the Morton estate winery lost their bull mastiff to it gorging on a shit load of skins... but i doubt a hand ful of grapes will do much...
    Fish? How the heck do the wild dogs of Rarotonga get on??? It's what they hunt and live off?

Other fruit... Brick is 12 eats at least one lemon a day is is fighting fit....

I wouldn;t feed a dog a bowl full of fat trimmings because I have to clean the kennels and runs.... literally runs LOL..... but they are one of the very best foods to feed a dog when running hard out in the field for the day as it is instant energy in the same way Glucose is to us. having said that, I only use a few small pieces, not a "feed".

Re: Bad dog foods

My dog has eaten dog shit, cat shit, deer shit, pig shit, tree bark, half a soccer ball and rotten fish by the lake. I'm not too worried about the apple seeds she eats :p

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    About 6 weeks ago my 10kg Jack Russel stole a 500g family pack of chocolate out of the pantry and mowed the lot before we found him, hasn't slowed him down one bit! He is a fat bastard though, he has been known to eat a whole possum in one evening...
    My mates jack russell did this, but also devoured a packet of tim tams straight afterwards. Didnt hurt her.

Quote Originally Posted by JayColli View Post
    My dog's vet recommended a raw egg weekly for a healthier coat
    Same, and I've heard it from a few people. We do it and it works well.

There's a few in there that surprise me, but I knew about choc, grapes, raisins and the obvious ones like dope and alcohol

Interesting reading though, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    My dog has eaten dog shit, cat shit, deer shit, pig shit, tree bark, half a soccer ball and rotten fish by the lake. I'm not too worried about the apple seeds she eats :p
    it is all about mg/kg exposure and whether she cracks the seeds

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Shit, that's what I've been doing wrong with the dogs.
    One labX used to actively steal beer, and she could scull a jug quicker than most blokes I know.
    Another big boff headed lab would crunch twice on a whole rabbit (I think that was to loosen up the backend) then somehow slide it down in three sucks, all while running flatout. How he never choked has got me fucked.
    Another one used to steal milk and it never hurt her.
    The whole pack will eat smaller rabbits as they catch them, and they don't even stop and cut the feet off first.....
    Had 2 labs and especially the bitch in spring would actively hunt out rabbit nests along the river bank and scoff the whole nest.She would do about 2 before she would start to wobble.It was amazing to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    I used to cringe at my lab/smithfield eating snapper frames and fish skins...how he passed them through the system I will never know...always shared my moro bars in the bush with him.
    I understand your logic, because I am extremely cautious with my dogs... but just like there is for humans.... there are lists for dogs that are ridiculous.... Having said that, I'm a poor role model... I smoke 30 a day, drink alcohol and have had the occasional joint... My dogs are no healthier than me....