Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Black Lab Temperment

Quote Originally Posted by wirehunt View Post
    fuck off, it's all gone. :d

His bark is worse than his bite.

I have owned One pure black, Family dog was golden and my current is a cross, All three have a great nature

Allthough in this pick Lylee looks like she is going in for the kill

She is cross with collie or Hunterway or so I was told, Got her at 1 year old. Turned up to the house and met her at the gate with the ute and got out, no bark just a wagging tail. Great with other dogs.... as long as they stay freindly.

As you can see not all lab and that I am sure of..... put her food down and half the time it takes her all day to eat a part desert bowl full of small biscuits

the only thing with black is at night if you catch them unaware and spook them it gives you a shit of a fright as you cant see them at all

only thing with black is at night if you catch them unaware and spook them it gives you a shit of a fright as you cant see them at all

I can honestly say that my guy has given me a fright more than once coming out of the scrub at night I'm sure he does it for spite sometimes to give the boss a wake up the black bugger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Could be but I wouldn;t be surprised if she's got a bit (maybe even half) pointer there looking at the muzzle and stop. Looks like a nice worker.
    I think you and Jap might be right, I've been biking a fair amount around Wairakei and she is starting to point out every damn Quail she can wrap her nose around.

She doesn't lift a paw, just look straight forward, freeze and straighten her tail.

That lab is going in for the kill alright leathel. Hes going to slobber the boy until he begs for mercy.

a dog that bites says more about the owner than the dog/breed

I had a de nutted rhodesian ridge back. Dex was real toey, especially when wife was pregnant. Great with us but scary for any body he took a dislike to or was suspicious of.
    Our last dog, Harry, was the complete opposite. Totaly harmless. Loved every body to pieces. Only ever seen him show aggression to one person which was a total surprise to me. Don't agree with the above statement.

Just another outdoors addict
    From what you described the statement seems spot on. Dogs live in a heirachy and find their place as near to the top as they can. Both instances you describe have similarities, just dogs with different personalities?

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post

This is Buster. In his prime he was around about 65-75 kg, He wasnt overly fat but just a totaly solid build.He would never bite ya, lick you to death more like it, be a bit roudy untill he got to know ya though.
    Had another one just as big growing up but he got hit by the speeding wankers down the road. at the mess of the car the cops said they were doing over 150km/h
    jeez mate BUSTER sure looks like a happily typical well fed lab. solid boy he is

We have got 3 black labs (I know, it's excessive). They are great with the kids and have never even looked like biting anyone. Our origional one has however become very protective ever since our first kid came home from the hospital - she will bark at anything she doesn't like the look of.

Gypsy

This is my black lab girl she is awesome a bit shitty with other dogs sometimes but others shes fine with

Name:  P2020016.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  P2020023.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  97.8 KB
    Last edited by Spanners; 20-03-2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Fixed links

HF1
    I had problems with my Bullmastiff's weight a few years back.

Due to skin problems she was on prednisone and that made her ravenously hungry.

I used to bulk her food up with bleached tripe. She thought she had a full stomach but there is no nutritional value in bleached tripe. It took a while but I got her down from 61+kg to 52kg.

Even with all the skin and health problems she was pretty fit from 'running' with a Vizsla and lived to 9 years old until lymphoma got her. (Her RIP is on the other forum - Gloria).

Banned
    1+ with shootm. We have a black lab 3yrs old and she is fantastic with the kids (5 and 8) Loves the 8 year old. Big time rumbles in the lounge with those 2. Never bitten anyone or even got close to it

Nice trim lab cyclonenat. Good to see. Fat labs get old fast..

Fancy that, they usually pick on the brown ones, can't hunt, bad genes etc. Yet to meet a bad temperament lab myself whatever the colour.

Dundee likes this.