Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Bo

I taught my first proper duck dog to sit and wait untill I told her she was allowed to move ...and REALLY hammered it home....one Christmas morning I had her sitting on back lawn waiting to eat her meal,and forgot about her...went to Mum inlaws and got sent home for chairs or some other random shite...and there was buttons still sitting waiting patiently...man did I feel like a prick...she always forgave me.
    Ive got much softer in my older years,but some things are still must do's. sit means sit,and stay there till you un sat.... some folks use sit...and stay seperately... others just one command.
    hope Bo enjoys pavalova........our pooch's always seem to end up with some random treats on Christmas day.
    Cordite and stagstalker like this.

Ha ha yes. My pooch sits by my chair with his chin on my shoulder patiently waiting for the last remnant of my icecream cone after dinner
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Bo found these two just now. Shot about 100m apart, first one was easy but had some trouble getting him to focus and go find the second one, think he was a bit confused why he had to "find" when he could see it slung over my shoulder.
    Name:  IMG_20201224_185407.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  5.14 MB
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Awesome. For doubles I use the command "other one" while indicating the direction.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

mate ,when you eventually shoot a deer and get Bo to find it........he will have look on face of "WTF???? this is plurry HUGE rabbit Dad"

hills are looking green,hope you getting this glorious God given rain ,we getting now...pastures are loving it,cows enjoying the non 30 degree days too.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Nice work Ryan, good to see an interesting topic being discussed with good contributions and no shit fights about which caliber dog collar is best!
    Micky Duck, 223nut and stagstalker like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

First deer Thor saw in the bush the bugger barked at it and so it took off. I did'nt say a word for a while, then I just said sshh. Cripes !
    Micky Duck and hebe like this.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Nice work Ryan, good to see an interesting topic being discussed with good contributions and no shit fights about which caliber dog collar is best!
    The answer is always 270
    outdoorlad, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    That reminds me.....

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Good looking pup Ryan and a great idea for a thread.
    Last edited by jakewire; 30-12-2020 at 07:27 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    The answer is always 270
    I hope you keep Bo a lot longer than you keep any of your rifles... He looks like a keeper to me. Good stuff and keep up the reports on Bo’s progress.
    Just...say...the...word

I had forgotten I started this thread. Heaps has happened with Bo since my last update including getting his first two deer on the ground, finding a shot chamois and he even retrieved a duck for a fellow forum member who shot one of our ponds on opening weekend and he's now at a stage where I can pretty much guarantee he will take me in to a deer if I start him off in the right spot. We have had a few little speed bumps along the way including the past few weeks where it seemed as Bo approached his first birthday he wanted to challenge me a bit and needed some reminding about who the boss is but we have him back on the straight and narrow now.
    He's been everything I hoped he would be, and more. I didn't start out with a specific goal of him being an indicating dog but he's sort of decided that himself so I have run with it, he even points now, not a good strong point like a visla or gsp, but a point all the same. He's a pretty smart dog and training has been a real pleasure as he picks things up quickly and even trains me on a few things as we go along. We are really fortunate to have a good population of deer on this property so despite being busy I have always found a spare hour here and there to do some practice with Bo and we "hunt" without the rifle quite often. I'm liking the new dimension having the dog brings to hunting and can't wait untill calving here has wound down and I can get him back out on some public land again. He's my shadow on the farm and spends most of every day with me and will even do a bit of simple mustering work bringing cows down off the hills etc. He's still a very laid back dog and I like that about him, doesn't get excited around new people etc. I'm having a bit of a conundrum at the moment deciding if I should have him fixed or not, on the one hand I know it will save any possible wandering problems etc but on the other hand I don't want it to change his demeanor in any way and the way he has been as a pup and how he's turned out makes me half think if might be nice to have a pup from him a few years down the track.
    stug and Micky Duck like this.
    10! has 270 divisors

Name:  IMG_20210917_174913_2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  4.95 MB
    ebf and Micky Duck like this.
    10! has 270 divisors

Name:  IMG_20210916_161931_1~2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  3.01 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    10! has 270 divisors

Name:  IMG_20210903_073636_1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  2.97 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    10! has 270 divisors