Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Brittany Spaniel

What? You've lost
    me.

Wirehunt, you are a champion!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Ok, I'll put it another way. It doesn't say much for the dog.
    Fair call. (I had to re-read to get the context...)

As you have all probably figured out I dont have much experience with gun dogs. But theres twp old blokes who do field and game that I shoot with every now and then and they said they've had all breeds of dogs through their lives but reckon the strongest willed but ultimately best breed of bird dog you can get is a brittany.
    HartHunter was thinking about one but they warned against it until he had more experience with dog training.

That's my no value 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    As you have all probably figured out I dont have much experience with gun dogs. But theres twp old blokes who do field and game that I shoot with every now and then and they said they've had all breeds of dogs through their lives but reckon the strongest willed but ultimately best breed of bird dog you can get is a brittany.
    HartHunter was thinking about one but they warned against it until he had more experience with dog training.

That's my no value 2 cents
    Let's see one at a P&S Wild Game Trial against an Irish or English Setter or Pointer first.
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Let's see one at a P&S Wild Game Trial against an Irish or English Setter or Pointer first.
    I'm quoting hearsay gqh ha

Have you ever had any experience with irish setters? theyre beautiful looking dogs but dont reckon I've ever even seen one

Have only ever run against them at P&S trials.....phenomenal dogs, the way they cover the ground. Some of my most enjoyable runs were against Dave Sheeley and Robyn Gaskin with their red dogs.

What breeds have you run over the years then?

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Have only ever run against them at P&S trials.....phenomenal dogs, the way they cover the ground. Some of my most enjoyable runs were against Dave Sheeley and Robyn Gaskin with their red dogs.
    Absolutely awesome dogs as you say, Watching Robyn and Dave's dogs can take your breath away.

I had the pleasure of working with an imported Brittany which, when given room to open his throttle and hit the afterburners, man could he go, and find, point and hold birds.... his natural ability was simply phenomenal... sadly he very rarely got the opportunity to work as God intended and was used primarily as picking up (not a good one) dog, not a Brittany's forte at all... he was also neutered by order the local council who believed it would stop him killing cats... I did try to explain he was killing them not screwing them but it was to no avail... He really could've added something to the poor gene pool we have here. If I could find another like him I'd be bothering you folks at pointer and setter trials as well.

FOOTNOTE: The few Brittany's I have seen and worked with (primarily Aussie imports though US bloodlines, or progeny of) have been very kind dogs to handle.

Have you ever had any experience with irish setters? theyre beautiful looking dogs but dont reckon I've ever even seen one
    I have experience with only one. He is the most honest dog I have anything to do with. Kind and biddable. I wouldn't call them beautiful but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

What breeds have you run over the years then?
    Wirehairs and over the last 12 months, have run a few Springers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    FOOTNOTE: The few Brittany's I have seen and worked with (primarily Aussie imports though US bloodlines, or progeny of) have been very kind dogs to handle.
    Archie still arround at driven shoots ?
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    Archie still arround at driven shoots ?
    I believe so but he is starting to show his age from what Adi told me... she's looking at a French brittany next time round I believe... and she has a cockers too I believe,... we've been playing catch up for a while and have only really communicated through phone messages for some time.

I really appreicate everyones input for all my questions and apolpgies for high jacking this thread but I'm still wide open in my hunt for a deer indicating dog. Contrary to what I said earlier about Brittany's from what I heard about having one as a first dog - does anyone think you could make a deer dog out of one? or are they too bird orientated or is there nose not there for it etc.? any advice appreciated.

Also I have contacted everyone suggested both on GSP and GWP - thanks for that to anyone who helped and reads this.

Lab