Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Cop rice dog food

SiB
    Mighty Mix biscuits and frozen. My curly coat never put on condition after turning two. I tried all brands, and whilst the "vet" brands were good, Mighty Mix costs me half of what they did.

Im no expert and i could be doing things wrong for all i know but i make my own wet food which they get at night and high end dry in morning.
    Wet food is raw chicken mince with frozen or fresh veges and long grain rice cooked and cooled before mixing.
    Sometime chicken is supplemented with mutton or venison mince dep on supply.
    Dogs have good healthy shiny coats not overweight and minimal stool, compared with magic dog food.

I hear you say "magic dog food"? you know the crap rolls you get from the supermarket. 200 grms in 400 out magic and their shit looks like shit too if ya catch me.
    mikee likes this.

I have fed rice to my dogs for years, s I find it fills them without fattening them. A bit of oily fish twice a week I find is good for coat condition too.
    Now fire away with the penguin jokes
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I have fed rice to my dogs for years, s I find it fills them without fattening them. A bit of oily fish twice a week I find is good for coat condition too.
    Now fire away with the penguin jokes
    Wellllllll, I guess you will always have fish on hand but the rice well I suppose that would mean a swim to the shops ??
    Pointer likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

A swim to the shops would be my best bet in this weather
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

A swim to the shops would be my best bet in this weather
    Give it 10 minutes and you'll be moaning about the heat
    At least you are waterproof,

I have just ordered more food for the pooches and OMG children might be cheaper. We are burning through 15kg bag every 3 weeks
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I don't moan.....I whinge
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I don't moan.....I whinge
    oh I forgot you were a POM. Did you not get that gene surgcally removed when you became a K1W1 ??
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    What's your thoughts on this food. Any good? Iv a heading/staffy that's 10 months old and he won't gain weight easy. I have increased his food but that just makes him shit more.....
    Iv bought a bag of working dog food to try bulk him up a little
    Will it need supplementing with anything? He gets meat and bone a bit too?
    Ta if you have any advice

Sent from the swamp
    How did you get on, Chrome? I have recently put my GSD x on cop rice with the hope of fattening him but it's not working so great.

He loved the stuff at the start, also gets cubed goat and venison/goat/beef bones with limitless supply. He would easily wolf down the three cups recommended for his size and put on 5kg in about a month. He recently got sick and lost all of that condition in a couple days

From advice from the vet I have added gravy to his dry food to get him interested again but even with a second dog over his shoulder, he is not too interested in eating large amounts.

So yeah, I'm at a bit of a loss! It would be interesting to know how you have gotten on with your pup.

My dog is five years old now and has always been on the thin side but now more than ever he has a bonier ass than a 15 year old huntaway!!! Changed his name from "Jet" to "Skinny McBones".
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Hi dougie.
    He has definitely gained some weight and the food is better than supermarket food. I have also been supplementing it with goat meat and beef bones.
    His weight seems to have stabilised but this last couple of weeks he has gotten into the plums off the ground and he's got the shits. I need to fence off the plum fall area to keep him out and then keep track again of his condition once he's away from them. Not nice what it does to his stools.
    I think cop rice is ok. Not great food but just ok.
    I hope this info helps you out.

Sent from the swamp
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    How did you get on, Chrome? I have recently put my GSD x on cop rice with the hope of fattening him but it's not working so great.

He loved the stuff at the start, also gets cubed goat and venison/goat/beef bones with limitless supply. He would easily wolf down the three cups recommended for his size and put on 5kg in about a month. He recently got sick and lost all of that condition in a couple days

From advice from the vet I have added gravy to his dry food to get him interested again but even with a second dog over his shoulder, he is not too interested in eating large amounts.

So yeah, I'm at a bit of a loss! It would be interesting to know how you have gotten on with your pup.

My dog is five years old now and has always been on the thin side but now more than ever he has a bonier ass than a 15 year old huntaway!!! Changed his name from "Jet" to "Skinny McBones".
    Dougie
    Get Jet some of this, will bend your wallet but should help Jet. We used to feed it to our Huskies a long time ago when they were "working" in harness
    It works

Royal Canin Professional Trail 4300

That stuff sounds good mikee. I note that the pack says `not for retail sale`, so interested in how they are selling it direct.
    Think I will try my little hell hound on it, as she burns off the fat pretty damn fast
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

That stuff sounds good mikee. I note that the pack says `not for retail sale`, so interested in how they are selling it direct.
    Think I will try my little hell hound on it, as she burns off the fat pretty damn fast
    We order off them every 3 weeks. If ya want you can try the mutt on what we use , will give ya a couple kg to try if you want
    We are currently feeding this one
    Addiction Le Lamb NZ Grain Free Dry Dog Food as our dogs seem to do better with out the Grain in the food. Delivery is free too

Sweet thanks all, I am a little strapped for cash at the moment but will look into it. The four legged thing just doesn't seem too interested in eating much
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

How bent will it make your wallet??

Sent from the swamp