Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Councils should admister an IQ test before people can own a dog!

I walk my dog in public areas and I always put a muzzle on her for three reasons one to stop her eating any bits of food she may come across and two if she is confronted by another dog she can't have a go. Plus with my dog being half pitbull it keeps peoples mind at ease, with her being very protective of us it keeps my mind at ease as she does not like strangers one bit she used to be a very friendly dog until an asshole of a tradesman with an attitude problem turned up at a place I was living jess went up to him for a pat and got a steel toe cap in her guts for being freindly, her reaction was to use her teeth in defence so he was lucky I had managed to grab her by the collar and lock her up before she had the chance, since then I have been working hard with her to try and get her to trust strangers again, she does not mind people walking beside me while she is on the leash but she will not let anyone touch her but she will have a sniff of them and then carries on walking along, she has only just started to be friendly with my 14 year old boy again so there has been some progress. That incident really ground my gears and I damned near kicked the guy off my property so some people actually need an IQ test before even going near someone elses dog.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Done. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day for me!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I had a quick check over him before I left, gosh Tussock you have me thinking I should get him in out of his box and check again now!!!!
    Go to the vet and ask for a can of aerotet forte it is a spray on antibiotic and has gentian violet in it, would suggest a couple of mls of depocillin but it is a prick to get hold of if you are not a cocky and your dog would not be happy with you for a few days anyway because you pricked him with a big nasty needle .
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Nobody metioned under water submision thoerpy for the other mutt... could have been an option
    Lucky escape aye
    Back in the day i used to take 5 mutts down to the beach, you should have seen the pets gathered quickly haha, then the owners jaw drop as i told 5 mutts to get in behind and walk off, was still a risk but it would only take one agresser to rush mine and you guess the rest so i dont go there any more except mid winter
    OPCz

Ejected
    Maybe you've missed one thing. The councils need the IQ test first.

Myself in this spot I ring the cops and give them the option. You shoot this sucking thing or I will. It doesn't go down well but the results are fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Maybe you've missed one thing. The councils need the IQ test first.

Myself in this spot I ring the cops and give them the option. You shoot this sucking thing or I will. It doesn't go down well but the results are fast.
    Ha ha I don't think it would go down well in my house!!!!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Ejected
    Oh, and hunter308. You should have kicked said tradesman in the nuts.

Never hit another man's dog unless told too.
    veitnamcam and Dougie like this.

My boy has become very nervous lately (probably the moving house, loads of pressure with training for that supid Pet Expo lol, new flatmates etc). We have a few visitors to our house and they generally aren't dog people or have a clue about body language so this is framed up at our front door.

Dog body language really interests me. If you'd like more illistrations (I added only the ones Jet shows often when he is stressed) I can send you a whole sheet via email.

Name:  JetIntro.PNG
Views: 245
Size:  39.4 KB

These vids are good to watch, the slow mo helps Joe Blogs understand and view the calming signals a little more clearly. WARNING these vids may offend.

Alan Titchmarsh you Hero ! - YouTube

Dog bites anchorwoman on live TV

EDIT - also to explain a little better, Jet is an outside dog. He is allowed only on a certain carpet indoors. Most of the time (unless I put it somewhere else because I want to train indoors) this is a .5x3m space. His bed is located at one end which is in a corner and the couch closes it in. The door to the back yard is at the other end. From every area on this space he can see the door where visitors can come in. Most people are far too tempted to walk straight up to him and try to console him when he is barking. His 'safe place' is on his bed and therefore gets cornered by the new person.... Since explaining to people a bit and having the help of the cartoon pictures, I have had a much calmer, understood dog. He has never bit a person other than me lol always the way, but yeah if you watch the videos above you can see how by not understanding signals (or just plain ignoring them, good work you muppet Millian) you may get yourself into a bad situation where unfortunately the dog is punished for biting when it's not been their fault.
    Last edited by Dougie; 09-11-2012 at 12:53 PM.

ebf
    That's very cool sheet dougie

I'm always amazed by peoples first reaction is to pat strange dog on top of the head...

keen to see the other illustrations, will flick you my email via pm

Yeah there were a lot more people than I thought that needed some simple education at the dog expo! I was a bit rude to one lady actually haha whoops....Hse kept roughly patting jet on the head and ears despite him trying to dodge her hands. I told her that patting under the chin was much more acceptable and she replied "Doesn't he like being patted on the head?" I said "How would you like it if I ruffed up your hair and patted you on the forehead?? Of course dogs don't like being patted on the head by strangers!!!" and walked off lol hmmmmm I had enough by that time of the day

Well, all i can say to that it is that it is YOU who will be held responsible for your dogs actions. Milan is no muppet, he's no genius either, but he's a hell of a lot closer to the truth that any other TV dog idiot I have seen.

What blows me away is this weird attitude people have... AGGRESSIVE dogs, met with physicality are being mistreated, when it is the dog which started to use violence.

Your cartoons are all wonderful for snoopy... but let's talk about real dogs. How many real dogs, with issues are people here dealing with?

You are not seeing Milan working with the "average" dog... all of these dogs had issues, which is why he was called... of course there will be showdowns, it's the nature of the canine.

They are not furry humans, and it takes balls of steel to go into bat to SAVE A DOGS LIFE which is often what Ceaser is doing, he's the last option, and people with a mamby pamby view of the canine world, with a pussy cat in their backyard want to condemn the poor bastard. It's ridiculous.

I have no aggressive dogsd in my kennel...but I do from time to time for clients but even when I do they would represent no threat to anyone and I wouldn;t need a cartoon to outline the dangers I harbor for visitors.. why? Because i am a responsible dog owner and i have my dogs confined in a kennel and run when I am not out there with them and this prevents any issue ever invented and creates a happier more balanced dog.

If your dog bites someone, it's your fault, not the dogs, not the visitors, not societies, not anything or anyone other than you.

I have dealt with many aggressive dogs as a professional trainer, and it takes a bit to get a real breakthrough and attitude change with such dogs... this means you go in, in the early stages, with a VERY high likelihood of getting bitten, not because of what I do, but because of the crap that has been done leading up to the point they needed to ring me.

Maybe the answer is to euthanize every dog, and that is a solution with mnay that have just gone too far, but In know there are many safe dogs still drawing breath out there because I went to bat, and for sake of a better term, battle with them... it's actually bloody rewarding albeit it can bring a few scars with it.

If you think a food treat will fix an aggresive dog, you haven;t dealt with many.

The trouble starts and finishes with humans humanising animal behaviours and reactions...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    The trouble starts and finishes with humans humanising animal behaviours and reactions...
    Sometimes.

Hang on Ruff, as much as I loathe the long ongoing threads about dogs here with "I am right" "No I am right" - please show me where I said offering a food treat to an aggressive dog will solve it? I have not been talking about aggressive dogs in the last few posts, I have been talking about body language and calming signals.

So also in essence your last post is saying that if someone comes into MY house, why I am not there, cowers over my dog and beats him over the head, when Jet has no flight option because the intruder has cornered him, when Jet bites the person this is MY FAULT? You are fucking dreaming mate.

The videos I posted above were intended to highlight the signals the dogs give to try to making biting their last option. Apart from the food gaurding, neither of the dogs were shown to be aggressive previously. I do not think that the way Cesar went about to 'fix' the food gaurding was a particularly smart choice but hey I am not a professional dog trainer so what would I know? But what I DO know is that his comment of "Woah I didn't see that coming" was a complete outrage from someone who asks for money because of his so called dog-whispering skills. Anyone with half a brain cell saw that coming.

Ahh right I have re-read your post. Are you saying that my dog is aggressive and that I should have him in a run when I am away?