Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Andygr

Thread: Dog to flush wallabies?

Dog to flush wallabies?

I've shot a few wallabies, mostly about 200m with the 223 and it occurs to me that maybe a better way might be to walk with a shotgun (BB's maybe) and let the dog push them around. I've watched them in the edges of bush without being able to get a shot.

Hes pretty good at putting pheasants up..

Just looking for a sense check on the idea before I get too keen.

Works well. @Micky Duck knows a bit about this subject. Assume you are on private land? No shotguns allowed on public land except maybe with a small game permit, which I don't think wallabies is included on.

My dogs love wallabies. I'd be careful using a shotty as your dog could well be in hot pursuit.
    You after the little ones or the big ones?

#2 is better than #BB in a double barrel one of each the best of all.... walk a wee gut out towards top edge and the hoppers will travel ahead of you...watch that last tiny bit of cover..they will be in there. your in BOP...so little wallabies...maybe try falcon sp36#3s thats a really good rabbit load and your fellas are tiny. our wallys will go up to 30 kgs.

also try rolling a few rocks down into gullies while watching,often wally will pop out onto edge and look back in to see what all the noise is.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Once my Tilly got a taste for wallaby hunting it became her favourite pastime. Not sure if its the same with all dogs but she was mad keen on them. Her work on them reconfirmed I'm a shit shot on running game with a rifle. Using her and a shotgun would have been great.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Check out Wallaby hunting in Tasmania on Ytube. They use dogs to drive them and shotties to shoot em.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Alright, good advice. Thanks all, will let you know how it turns out.

Now to find the time!

it is seriously good fun...carrying a rifle slung across shoulders it good for the odd cheeky hua who sits at 150yards and watches...the ultimate is one fella up on each ridgeline and 2-3 guys with shotties and dogs walking up guts in the crappy stuff. when you get 30 plus fellas all in a row giving it a good go...it is VERY good fun indeed.

and yapping wee dogs,foxies,jack russels ,border terriers are just the ticket.. @waimo runs a wee border terrier and they are simply AWESOME wee wallaby dogs,they run n yap all day and the roos hate it and keep popping out to be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    and yapping wee dogs,foxies,jack russels ,border terriers are just the ticket.. @waimo runs a wee border terrier and they are simply AWESOME wee wallaby dogs,they run n yap all day and the roos hate it and keep popping out to be shot.
    Was reading through this thread and thinking my (actually the grandson's) little Jack Russel would love this kind of fun.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle