Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Food to fatten up pup

Dogs need 30% fat in with meat . Another good food is if you know a farm home kill guy ask him to keep the trype best dog food out there .As said above brisket is very good .
    Ruff, Dougie and Smartie like this.

Problem being new to North Canterbury is I dont know any farmers to go bunny/possum busting. Or anyone doing homekill and having excess stock to over winter

Be a little cautious with the brisket bones...not every day...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    there should still be possums around,when your out spotlighting bunnies next look around any rock piles/bluffy bits etc that's where we used to find them in Tarras and still do in the Hunter hills.
    A rarity around central otago these days. Be bloody lucky to get one a week. In fact more like one a month.

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    Dogs need 30% fat in with meat . Another good food is if you know a farm home kill guy ask him to keep the trype best dog food out there .As said above brisket is very good .
    for what ??
    by the time you boil the crap out of tripe as you legally must or freeze it its about as nutritious as a pine stump.
    you can add it to possum other meat and food scraps boil it all up in your guts cooker and add gelatine and make your own jellimeat.
    but own its own or even with the rest of the offal i considered it nothing more than a stomach filler untill something better was available.
    Be a little cautious with the brisket bones...not every day...
    good point eebees.
    vets will tell you now not at all cos to much and it can''set like concrete in thier guts''

All the hardcore will tell you green tripe is the answer. cooking it kills its worth.

And as for the brisket comment, yes agree - it will set in the guts, that's the point of feeding it. I have never had an anal gland problem in my dogs, because every so often, after a good dose of brisket, they have to strain out the most hardest, little dusty white shit they will ever have to do. I tell this to people who have to take their dogs to the vets to have their dogs anal glands expressed, but they don't believe me. Nature will express them for you, if you feed them the right stuff!
    Last edited by Pointer; 03-06-2016 at 05:43 PM.

I buy green tripe from the pet shop (I know...)...it stinks like blazes but the dogs inhale it...as you would expect...I get cannon bones and cut them in half for the dogs...amazing how much of the marrow they manage to extract from the bones...chicken carcasses are good too and cheap!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I remember Robyn telling me a story about the legendary John Nash. Used to release his dogs at exercise time, count how many dogs he released into the paddock, and count them all back again at feeding time... when you are talking 50-70 dogs names don't come into it! He had a killing shed which was always hung with enough fresh green tripe to feed such a pack, the smell must have been horrendous. The UK crowd swear by it, meat and veg in one serving

I buy green tripe from the pet shop (I know...)...it stinks like blazes but the dogs inhale it...as you would expect..
    working dogs are disgusting greedy sods at times
    beef tripe ???y
    sorry i was thinkin of sheep but either way i cant see it as that great.
    as a filler for a big pack or substitute untill you get something better??
    my old south island musterer boss used to tell me some outfits were so mean with the dog tucker that they used to make double the sandwiches for thier lunches and feed the extras to the dogs
    anything that limped on the muster was in the dogs guts almost before it was bleed out

I'm sure that I wouldnt be the only one on here guilty of giving the mutt a bit of Sammy on the hill
    Wirehunt and gsp follower like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I'm sure that I wouldnt be the only one on here guilty of giving the mutt a bit of Sammy on the hill
    no not by a long shot 223nut
    but having to do it cos some tight arse farmer was to mean with the culls for dog tucker seems almost unbelievable in this day and age.
    tho porinui used get them made into dog rolls and give you thier idea of a months supply
    unfortunatly it wasnt the same as mine so the gut cooker got a good workout with everything from possum, over the hill ewes, hares and the some offal from deer .
    no deer much tho they went to rangataik pub to be sold with thier lungs heart kindneys and liver still in if i remember right and any that did get kept the bones and or offal didnt go far amongst 5 lots of dogs about 50 in total including pups.

Tripe is one of the healthiest things you can feed to your dog. Not only does tripe provide natural digestive enzymes to a dog, but also is rich in vitamins, fatty acids and amino acids. The enzymes not only help digestion in dogs, but are also said to have a substantial effect on the cleaning of a dog’s teeth.
    Pointer likes this.

And for those that treat train it is mentioned a fair bit too......
    I would feed it more as I can get it from a home kill guy, illegal for him to sell it mind, bit of a mission washing it.

Erlandson used it for nervous dogs. but he didn't treat train, in fact I have never met or seen anyone train a gundog using a "treat training" regime. Food is useful in some instances such as those Erlandson outlined. I use food at the moment for a soft young dog I am working with who is freezing on a lead, food distracts him from the behavior... still not treat training.

Steve Brown a very good trainer and handler who owns FCH Stramore Maggie feeds a lot of green tripe to her and her son Lochland Captain Flash. They seem to love it and get all slimed and green Steve swears by it but I couldn't be bothered working with the stuff! All my dogs do very well on Purina Dog Chow with a few beef bones every other week.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Feed it any 'working dog' labeled food, if it isn't a working dog and still doesn't put weight on then something else is wrong, worms etc
    Ruff likes this.