Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

heading dog / pup learnt how to chase birds and turn off ears

howsit guys
    1st off I know somehow I've let this develop but f##k me it's doing my head in
    so I go out in town for training or excersize with my dog and she is just keen as on birds to the point where will pretty much ignore me she will run through a stop and keep chasing birds it's gonna get her killed run over or something. if gets away on me she will b way out of site chasing birds trail barking till she's f##ed then come back happy as Larry. now without the bird distraction has a stop, turn ,walk out in front ,get in , lie down, speak up. and dose it all happily . put the birds near and she's switches to predator type mode me an what I'm saying is at the bottom of her prioritys. other day in Bush had a deer walking past close and she slipped into this mode I hunt her with long line still so stepped on it stern quite sit. shes shaking with anticipation and wanting to chase obviously this is far from what I what with a indercating dog. pretty frustrating stuff because to me it feels like it could end her career hunting.
    any ideas ????have been tempted to use collar on her with birds hasn't had a collar apart from kiwi aversion ticket .
    . thanks Kane

thanks for reply yea done shit load of long line work as a young pup still use it but like I say the attention is on the birds 110% at least the long line stops any running off I done a lot off retrieve work with her as excersize with a controlled release or a speak up before I throw as a game but it will only last so long then I see the attention start change an boom the little bitch is off haha if I had the chance again I don't think I would Evan teach a retrieve as it is I guess a chasing behaviour I c it coming on and can shut it down back on lead before she's off but still gets away on me a lot
    shes just hit 1yr old

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    sounds like she is a strong eyed pup will take another year or 2 before she will be more controlled. by age 6 or 7 she will be exactly what you want if your blood pressure and patience can last that long.

haha cheers mate yea few blood pressure spikes that's forsure

What is she like around stock?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    What is she like around stock?
    I'm no shepherd but strong eyed and keen to get to work showen plenty of interest from a young age . I use to take her down to some cattle and horses and train/ play on other side of fence getting closer untill she ignored them

have cats a home sweet with them scared of them infact