Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: heading dogs for deer

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Don't be put off by a pedigree dog, a kinder type of wirehair or a lab would do well for deer. Pointer/lab is a good first cross if your hooked on a mongrel and keen for a gamble
    Would I be right in thinking that a pedigree is less risky because you don't run the risk of getting the bad traits from both parents in a cross, instead of the good traits. On the flipside, the cross can pick up good traits from both sides (therein lies the gamble) and has the added quality of hybrid vigour.

I would rather (as a complete beginner trainer on a first dog) have a dog that was easier to train and not as demanding on my skill as a trainer, but didn't have the potential to be the worlds greatest deer indicator, than a dog that did have that potential, but is very high maintenance and requires a highly skilled trainer it can turn to shit. This is why I'm attracted to a lab or something other than a pointer. Please correct me if I'm misguided in my view, I am only a novice.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Ejected
    Your on the right track Phillip, but the traits to a point is more a training thing. Some crosses can be rather vigorous.....

Ejected
    I have no problem with the dog going in on deer, if you in fact look at the breed standards on some it was encouraged as a part of the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    I have no problem with the dog going in on deer, if you in fact look at the breed standards on some it was encouraged as a part of the breed.
    Bloody oath, a dog that you can send in to stop a woundy is worth its weight in gold. Only when necessary, and only after a dog knows it job, you wouldn't do it with a young dog. You might also tightn up the screws on it next time your out