Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Help i have now made an anxious gsp/lab

Took him out to one of the Construction sites this morning, no anxious pissing just a couple marks here and there. Will have to be a lot softer on him to avoid the anxious behavior but then still don't want him ignoring me. Will try some new places with less distractions and see how he goes.

If he is cocking his leg to piss then it probably isn't anxious pissing. he is trying to mark the area as his. I would think given his age he is starting to get a bit more assertive and so is marking the area as his and not yours. You could try a bit more obedience training at home and making him wait before feeding to reinforce your the boss. Maybe next time you get to the hunting spot you make him go for a piss at the start, and if you see him heading for a piss spot give him the word "No" which should mean "don't do whatever you are doing or going to do". It's a fine line to walk between being over dominant so you have complete control, and letting him make his own decisions. Given a bit more age he will grow through that phase and settle in to his place in your pack ( or is that bubble now ).
    Of course if he is half squatting and peeing, then yes that is nervous and maybe you've been overdoing it with the discipline.
    Good luck with him and keep persevering.

Banned
    I have never seen a dog taken to town that can ignore all the marks from other dogs. A normally super steady dog from the country will pull your arm off in town. I would try and keep him away from scent distractions and read some books by Brian Plummer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaEPhpyzFws

My black lab bitch seems to like pissing where I piss, even when I am doing it...sometimes I manage to avoid pissing on her but on the occasions I fail I just don't pat her the rest of that day.

lol yep my last bitch used to do that David. She would also sometimes cock her back leg at the same time
    It's a subtle play for the top spot, but they know they don't really have a chance so they make a little "statement"

How are you getting on with your dog now Matto ?

Took him bush yesterday and spooked 2 different animals, he's too keen and fast. He is getting better, i have been avoiding correcting him for minor things and leaving him to do his thing while on walks to an extent. Its a fine balance with him but he is a good natured dog and still young
    rugerman and DavidGunn like this.

It was explained to me this way ...If he and you are just out walking and it is not training time just let him be a dog, he is a dog and will want to do dog things. If you are training him and he wants to do his own thing then there is cause for correction.
    matto1234 likes this.