Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By mattstr
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 11 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By hebe
  • 2 Post By Johnstur
  • 2 Post By mattstr
  • 1 Post By Alex1990

Thread: Hunting dog podcasts

HBhunter

Hunting dog podcasts

Hi all
    Can Anyone recommend any good hunting dog podcasts. More pointed at big game rather than water foal.
    I’m well aware of the NZ podcast that shall not be mentioned without starting a massive debate.
    Thanks in advance.
    Name:  7C666358-26E3-4447-8D5E-0976DBB5F122.jpeg
Views: 408
Size:  772.4 KB
    paremata likes this.

MB
    Paul Michaels is really in to it! I listen to his other stuff as I don't have dogs. Is that the one that can't be mentioned?
    mattstr and paremata like this.

HBhunter
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Paul Michaels is really in to it! I listen to his other stuff as I don't have dogs. Is that the one that can't be mentioned?
    I have no issue with who ever it may be I have just seen where some of the convos go… I have seen Paul does a few podcasts.
    . I have found plenty of podcasts that focus on birds but very little that concentrate on fur/ four legged.

I think that the reason dog convos always go sideways is that every dog and every owner is different, you literally can't follow any kind of blueprint (excuse the pun..) if you want a dog that is 100% tailored to your wants and needs so everyone has an opinion based on what has worked for them.
    By all means I say go out there and soak up some info, get some ideas etc but at the end of the day the good old bucket of bullets method is what will really improve you and your dog the most, get out there and hunt with the dog as often as you can and you'll reap the rewards. Be prepared for failures, they're a chance to learn, correct, and refocus for both of you and don't get frustrated because someone else's methods aren't working or are having undesired outcomes, adjust as you go along and just feel your way and you'll end up with the best dog possible for you. That's my opinion anyhow ..
    GSP HUNTER, 7mmwsm, tetawa and 8 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

HBhunter
    Completely agree with that @Ryan_Songhurst . Each person and each dog is so different that there is no hard and fast rule to train a dog pick the parts that work for you and run with it. I train and work muiltple dogs all day most days and have my ways of doing things which I’m my eyes work well for what I do. . I also listen to a lot of podcasts and enjoy listening to how others train/ work hunt their dogs whether it suits my style of training or hunting or not. If I get one thing out of every 10 podcasts I listen to well that’s a win and may help me make understand something better or become a better dog trainer going forwards.

Theres one by a guy Ron Boehme, the hunting dog podcast
    mattstr likes this.

HBhunter
    Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Theres one by a guy Ron Boehme, the hunting dog podcast
    Thanks a lot I will check it out this morning

Hunting Dog Confidential is a great podcast on hunting dog breeds. Not training related but if your interested in the history of breeds it’s awesome.
    mattstr and paremata like this.

HBhunter
    Thanks @Johnstur I will be sure to check that out. I Have a fair bit of mustering and yard work on the farm today so that will keep me occupied.
    apart from the ones already mentioned I havnt found any thing worth sharing to add to the collection sorry but will be sure to do so if I come across a gem.

Hi Matt,
    Did you manage to stumble onto any good podcasts?
    Me and the Mrs just bought a GSP pup , so keen to soak up some knowledge

HBhunter
    Hi @JohnP I had a gps bitch they are awesome dogs I shot a lot of animals over her. As for podcasts go unfortunately havnt found a lot in the way of decent ones. There’s a lot that are based on bird dogs however not so suited to what we tend to use them for here in Nz . Our rules in hunting with dogs are quite different to around the world so there for our style of hunting/ training is quite different. Good luck with your new pup and future training
    Matt
    Name:  C98CEA9F-8D62-48AD-8A13-319130BC9D0D.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  133.4 KB
    rugerman and Snoppernator like this.

My advice would be to listen to all of the Paul Michaels content as well as random you tube videos. Standing Stone kennels for example. Once you have absorbed all this info, go out and learn your own dog and how it fits in with your style of hunting. Most importantly, learn the fundamentals of dog training and grow from there as a team.
    mattstr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1990 View Post
    My advice would be to listen to all of the Paul Michaels content as well as random you tube videos. Standing Stone kennels for example. Once you have absorbed all this info, go out and learn your own dog and how it fits in with your style of hunting. Most importantly, learn the fundamentals of dog training and grow from there as a team.
    I also listen to him. He shared many interesting experiences