Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A little help.

Rushy, thank you! Sorry Toby...you were unable to do so much during that time of puppyhood.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Shes not quite a year old yet November isn't far though. Only been training her since June really, the odd time in May.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    She is bloody big for only being 8 months Toby. what have you been feeding her?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Toby, watching the fetch vid...have another word for when you want to hand over the bird...say release or something...you are telling her to sit when really you want her to release the bird...she has to know the connection with the word release with giving up the bird, which is a completely different command and response to the one for sit. Kneel down so you are at her height for the release of the bird, for starters...never pull or snatch the bird!!! There is the flank tweak for getting the dog to release the bird...I have been told how to do it but have never needed so it was 'deleted'...I am sure one of the guys will know. Again, when you call her in stay with a specific command ie come, here, to me or whatever you choose...The commands must be consistent...so the dog is in no doubt what you are meaning...

You can later on introduce the sit then the release once you have the release sorted. Some people like their dogs to sit to give the bird over, some like them standing, some like the dog to reach up so they do not have to bend down to take the bird.
    Last edited by EeeBees; 04-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Puppy food until 1-2 weeks ago now its just 6 dog biscuits. She munchs on bones as well.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Toby, watching the fetch vid...have another word for when you want to hand over the bird...say release or something...you are telling her to sit when really you want her to release the bird...she has to know the connection with the word release with giving up the bird, which is a completely different command and response to the one for sit. Kneel down so you are at her height for the release of the bird, for starters...never pull or snatch the bird!!! There is the flank tweak for getting the dog to release the bird...I have been told how to do it but have never needed so it was 'deleted'...I am sure one of the guys will know. Again, when you call her in stay with a specific command ie come, here, to me or whatever you choose...The commands must be consistent...so the dog is in no doubt what you are meaning...

Yeah that makes sense. I can't kneel down haha. Would "Drop it" do?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Puppy food until 1-2 weeks ago now its just 6 dog biscuits. She munchs on bones as well.
    I reckon she is eating behind your back. Probably got something going with your neighbours. Ha ha ha ha
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I reckon she is eating behind your back. Probably got something going with your neighbours. Ha ha ha ha
    She doesn't normally leave the property. Would bones get her fat? I never thought they would which is why I leave her to it.
    Gibo likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Yes drop would be ok as long as that is the word for release...where she brings you the bird/rabbit/hare...so you can reach down ok though to take the dummy or bird?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    How do I stop Pip shaking shit when she brings it back. She doesnt seem to do it as much on the pigeons but the toy pheasant shes ba for it. Also whats a easy way to ge her to retrieve to me instead of mucking around. If I walk away it she comes but I want her to come to me even if I dont walk.
    First of all I wouldn't have your dog retrieving shit; I'm impressed that she can bring it back with out it falling to pieces though.
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Yes drop would be ok as long as that is the word for release...where she brings you the bird/rabbit/hare...so you can reach down ok though to take the dummy or bird?
    Yeah easy enough. sometimes she just puts it into my hand other times she fights it. I get what you're saying about consistent commands. Makes perfect sense.
    VIVA LA HOWA

BH, I think he was using the metaphoric 'shit' As some say 'Im gunna go and shoot some shit' Not faecal matter in this instance

Pigeons fall to bits to be honest. Had this one for a day the heads gone and a wing is falling off, my bad for almost shooting it off also feathers fall out. All when I throw it.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Try a little lead in one ear Toby that'll stop her shaking. Just taking the piss cause I like yah
    Toby likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Just taking the piss cause I like yah
    And because it is fun.
    Toby and Maca49 like this.