Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Lumps

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    No harm in asking questions Toby, lotta people don't when they should!
    With some of the responses I don't blame people for not asking
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    With some of the responses I don't blame people for not asking
    Theres always someone Toby who cant simply answer the question asked without being a .......
    Toby likes this.

Take it on the chin and keep asking questions Toby

And tick it up, most or all vets will let you drip feed payment, my bill is sitting just at under 6 hundy at the moment
    Another good trick is get your vet to post you out your worm pills, you never forget and have a record if some cocky wants proof you dosed your dog
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

Yeah I had an account when I got her chipped and stuff. Was just checking here to make it was nothing silly I could do myself. Once I read Kawhiai and Ryan's post to let me know it wasn't something silly I was at the vet within the hour which is why it pissed me off a bit saying I was tight but meh. Sue me for being a diy guy where I can
    moonhunt and Dougie like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Take this with a grain of salt Tobes (just covering my ass! ) but DIY stuff for me anyway has been more lacerations than lumps/puking/not eating/blocked airway. I did actually have another trip to the vet once - thought Jet had something stuck in his throat. Turned out it was actually more like a cold, possibly kennel cough. We ended up doing some DIY stuff anyway..honey in warm water seemed to sooth his throat.

Anyway DIY stuff..small nicks and cuts, saline (or just salt water) is your friend. Any sort of first aid you'd do on yourself is usually okay around the pooch so long as they are happy being handled. Practice getting a bit personal with Pip - treat her heavily while you look in her ears, mouth, eyes, in between toes etc. Practice having a mate do the same. Keep sessions short and sweet and full of loving fun stuff like treats and pats and "good girl!"

A tip for the old pills is again to keep it short and sweet - open her mouth, push the pill well down the back of her gob, shut her mouth and rub the front of her throat. That will make her swallow. Done
    Toby likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

I'm lucky she's a lab when it comes to pills haha. This mornings dose was munched back. Getting more personal with her isn't a dumb thing I don't think. I remember last time I took her to the vet and she told me brushing dogs teeth is important. I managed to brush her teeth after I got my brother to hold her mouth open. She was trying her hardest to eat that tooth brush haha
    VIVA LA HOWA

I'm not too convinced on the teeth brushing thing, personally. The only animals I saw when I did work ex at the vet coming in to get tooth scales were small dog breeds (terriers etc) and older cats.

But yeah getting her used to semi-invasive handling is important.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

I thought it sounded funny brushing dogs teeth but might as well use the toothpaste she gave me.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Yeah I had an account when I got her chipped and stuff. Was just checking here to make it was nothing silly I could do myself. Once I read Kawhiai and Ryan's post to let me know it wasn't something silly I was at the vet within the hour which is why it pissed me off a bit saying I was tight but meh. Sue me for being a diy guy where I can
    I may have been blunt in my response, but it got your dog to the vet.
    you got off lightly with a handful of pills, left to get bigger a drain and lance would have added a fair bit to the bill, your prompt action saved that.
    I've spent a huge fortune in vets over the years, and gained enough knowledge to know what I can get away with and what I can't.
    my advise is to get ya moneys worth out of ya vet, ask questions and advise while you are paying for there time, most vets are pretty keen to share knowledge and tips.
    veitnamcam and Toby like this.

It was blunt Kawhai but bloody hilarious from this end of the keyboard

Well done toby for doing the right thing,I new she would of been to the vet before page 1 finished
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive