Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Neutered vs entire males

Once a dog reaches retirement age having him batesed (see Below) can help prevent prostrate problems and help him to have a long and lonley retirement.

There was a young salior calles Bates
    Who danced the fandango on skates
    Till a fall on his cutlass rendered him nutless
    and practically useless on dates
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

HF1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    What is 'stroppy'? Try to notice the age too - were the others around the same age as your boy?
    Stroppy - approaching him with their hackles up and growling, standing over him, lunging and putting their front legs around his neck trying to put him on the ground (he was sniffing around in other areas or walking beside me and not interested in them at all). He didn't retaliate by growling just tried to get away from them.

Yes, he was younger than the other dogs and I could have understood their behaviour if he had rushed up to them like a young lunatic but he hadn't paid any attention to them.

A friend had an entire Lab and mentioned the same behaviour a few years ago and I thought she was imagining it. Probably if it hadn't happened on a number of occasions so close together I wouldn't have paid any attention and just thought it was one of those things - which it probably is.

Neutered vs entire males

Have u had him since a puppy? Because if so all it cud be hes just gaurdin you from another male im guessin hes fine with bitchs? Ive had the same thing within my pack with desexd n sexed males i put them beside eaother when they were locked up took awhile but everytime i went up to the kennel i interacted with them both and not just the new dog so my boi new the dog was ok in the pack. Then moved into letting them out togther muzzeled and afta time they were fine. Could be different story but im guessin ur dog is just protective of you some males are like that towards other dogs as ive found there simple to understand nothings ever hard and major to work out food,sleep, shit an chase pigs and piss on things all that go through my dogs heads by the looks of things

It's just poor handling on the owners part, bugger all to do with balls really.

It happened to me a while back , ended up having to where my boots because it was getting out of hand . Had my dog on heal and my wee daughter beside me and same shit dogs getting narly. Slippered two dogs , didn't make any friends but the owners got the message to keep there dogs under control . One lady had a heading dog that I kicked came at us like a bullet withe teeth out . She did not think it was unacceptable to have a dog do that WTF , and blamed me for my behavior , I reminded her I was protecting my daughter and my young dog ! And next time it will get ugly ! . Never seen again . I normally don't loose my cool but , I didnt want my dog getting hard because of the environment he was getting exposed to . Nobody wants to invite a stroppy dog hunting .
    Ruff likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hey Munsey my friend's Greyhound is developing a problem where we have to really manage what dogs he is around (friendly, safe dogs) as he has had so many experiences like the one you described, poor thing has been very untrustworthy of other dogs approaching with management we are slowly teaching him that other dogs are nice.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Hey Munsey my friend's Greyhound is developing a problem where we have to really manage what dogs he is around (friendly, safe dogs) as he has had so many experiences like the one you described, poor thing has been very untrustworthy of other dogs approaching with management we are slowly teaching him that other dogs are nice.
    Dougie, i do the opposite... I teah other dogs are nothing to be bothered with and I will handle the,... dogs really don;t have to handle other dogs if their handler takes the role, leave them to it and you really leave them to work out how they want to handle it... dollars it donuts it is not how you want it handled.

HF1
    Ruff, the first time it happened with a Boxer I did step in. An 'Oy' and fronted up to the dog which then backed away and left Steel alone. The owners did nothing.

My sister is a lot more bolshie than me, throws something at the other dog then usually warns the other owner to get their dog away, if that fails she boots the dog. She said the most effective was yelling 'Get your F******* dog under control!" or 'Get your f******* dog out of here!' (She's not very PC )

Rawnboar - it was the strange dog going for mine so no question of my boy guarding me.

Quote Originally Posted by HF1 View Post
    Ruff, the first time it happened with a Boxer I did step in. An 'Oy' and fronted up to the dog which then backed away and left Steel alone. The owners did nothing.

My sister is a lot more bolshie than me, throws something at the other dog then usually warns the other owner to get their dog away, if that fails she boots the dog. She said the most effective was yelling 'Get your F******* dog under control!" or 'Get your f******* dog out of here!' (She's not very PC )

Rawnboar - it was the strange dog going for mine so no question of my boy guarding me.
    One way to go... I never try to train humans, I just deal with the dogs...

Both mine are nutless and only ever want to play with other dogs regardless weather they have/had or never had nuts.

I think it was probably more the dogs/owner than anything to do with nuts.
    EeeBees likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yes, VC, the nut at the top of the neck on the shoulders...an empty shell when commonbleedingsense comes to mind...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Both mine are nutless and only ever want to play with other dogs regardless weather they have/had or never had nuts.

I think it was probably more the dogs/owner than anything to do with nuts.
    Letting you dog "play" with other dogs is the first step to losing control.

Re: Neutered vs entire males

They "want" to play. In a public area i call them in to me . At friends places i go inside and have a beer or whatever and the dogs play or sleep or wait for a sausage to roll off the bbq.

Mine are just pets not trained for anything as such but are kept under control in public places.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Fair enough... this is usually something people need to see... almost impossible to explain on the forum and only ever ends in tears when I do....

My son has a neutered springer spaniel who is a great worker and gets on well with all the other un neutered dogs,never had a problem like that,very strange.Maybe a vet could explain why your dog behaved like that.