Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Not hunting dogs, these are my children.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Thinking of you guys Cam. It is bloody hard for sure.
    Had a bit of a blub then Mikee came round and took my mind off it for a while.

I seem to be a pre griever if there is such a thing.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

All the best with this Mate

I still remember when I took my dog Roxy for her last walk/hunt, still upsets me had her for 15 odd years 9 of those she was at work with me everyday.

My second wife got her for me so I wouldn't be lonely when she buggered off on me...didn't quite work that way....

I remember the day very well & know where I buried her on the family farm,,,, tears right down into my beard right now

I had had my first SH 02 Monaro for two weeks, black interior & white dog hair don't go together extremely well

I had that Monaro for 6 months before I got my current one new in March 05...so that's around 16.25 years ago...

I still miss her & every now & again I find some of her hair....still haven't got another dog
    Last edited by Kiwi Greg; 06-03-2016 at 10:50 PM.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Caretaker

Not hunting dogs, these are my children.

Very sorry to hear that Vietnamcam, i have had dogs for 42 years, all english foxies.

Its hard seeing them slow down, and Incredibly tough saying goodbye and a genuine loss when they go.

Thinking of you mate
    mikee likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Its a hard thing, and as you say they are your children. When the time comes get a vet to do a house call, dont take them somwehere strange let them go in familiar surroundings.
    kawhia, mikee, Pengy and 1 others like this.

Yep shit I had to take my daughters 19 yr old cat to have put down when she was in the UK. It jumped of the table and buggered its back legs. Had to hold the poor old trusting thing while the vet injected it, couldnt control the eyes as it slipped away. The positive was there was no struggle or pain, it just relaxed and the heart stopped.
    One day my kids will do it to me!! Its just lifes cycle, but very sad, but out of your control
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Buddy, I would say that it's probably time to let them go. even thou it's really hard now, it's only fair to them they don't suffer any more that they need to. Take them to the vet, hold them, tell them how much you loved them while they are put to sleep, howl as much as you like, but wait till after they have gone. You will only add extra stress to them. Then take them to their special place, you will know and lay them to rest. You have done so much for them and have given them a loving and fantastic environment to grow up in, their long levity is a testament to this. Then go and chose another one, not a similar breed because you will always compare. You owe to your family to get another mate for yourself and the kids. Fukin hard I know but the next one will find a place in your heart and the Old ones will always be apart of your life.
    Pengy and HILLBILLYHUNTERS like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Buddy, I would say that it's probably time to let them go. even thou it's really hard now, it's only fair to them they don't suffer any more that they need to. Take them to the vet, hold them, tell them how much you loved them while they are put to sleep, howl as much as you like, but wait till after they have gone. You will only add extra stress to them. Then take them to their special place, you will know and lay them to rest. You have done so much for them and have given them a loving and fantastic environment to grow up in, their long levity is a testament to this. Then go and chose another one, not a similar breed because you will always compare. You owe to your family to get another mate for yourself and the kids. Fukin hard I know but the next one will find a place in your heart and the Old ones will always be apart of your life.
    While I tend to agree with the above having met them both the other night, I dont think either one is quite at that point yet.

They are/ were both happy dogs and if it were me I would be comfortable leaving things as they are for now. Old dogs are just like us when we get old.

I do feel you pain though VC, our dogs are the same as yours and "that time" comes way way way too soon and it hurts and I am man enough to admit I too shed many many tears each time we lost one of ours (including one way way too soon).
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Mate you just made me remember every dog I have had to make that call for. Tough at the time but never easy VC. You will make the right call for sure.
    mikee likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Cheers everyone. They have improved with the tucker and meds a bit and I dont think they are unhappy as such yet but it is not much of a life not managing a walk around the block I think.

Will see how they go as the weather gets colder.
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Cheers everyone. They have improved with the tucker and meds a bit and I dont think they are unhappy as such yet but it is not much of a life not managing a walk around the block I think.

Will see how they go as the weather gets colder.
    They will be totally fine......................inside by the heat pump on hot or cold days
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier VC
    It's tough, there is no doubt .As you can see, a lot of us share your angst about what's possibly to come.

And when you decide that time has arrived we'll share your grief as well.
    veitnamcam, mikee and Mathias like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    They will be totally fine......................inside by the FIRE on cold days
    Thats better no self respecting dog or cat has any faith in heat pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Thats better no self respecting dog or cat has any faith in heat pumps.
    That may be true but here in Richmond "Open Fires" and also log burners are essentially banned, in New (and old houses when they be sold to new owners).

So its heat pump or nothing

Bugger that!
    Wirehunt likes this.

Ejected
    Just do it VC, the time is now. No point in poring money into old dogs that have done their dash.....

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    That may be true but here in Richmond "Open Fires" and also log burners are essentially banned, in New (and old houses when they be sold to new owners).

So its heat pump or nothing
    That's cause you fools are the mainlands version of jafaland...