Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Raw feeding - getting started.

Raw feeding - getting started.

First post in the dog section.

I have a Black Labrador arriving in a few in two weeks. I would like to raw feed as balanced diet as possible and I’ve been shooting a fair few Tahr, Deer and Chamios for dog tucker. I save all livers, kidneys, lungs, hearts etc to supplement store bought meat. It’s the bone content that I would like some advice on, specifically how to prepare to prepare small game before freezing.

Question: with Rabbits and Hares I have been removing the leg bones, guts and skin before freezing but wonder if this is really necessary to remove the leg bones. Will a pup be able to pass these safely or are they best avoided until he is older?

I am probably overthinking this but better safe than sorry right?

Cheers,
    Hayden

Hi Hayden, welcome to the dog section ...any organ meat should be cooked before feeding to dogs...even the offal from off the Hill can have parasites...re the rabbit and hare meat, I would cut the meat off for the first few months, but a venison leg bone cut in half will keep him busy...once he has gone through teething...when those needle sharp first teeth come away, then introduce more...be careful of brisket bones (the gristle can, for want of a better word, clog up the digestive track, often to traumatic proportions)...I consider the vertebrae of hares and rabbits more problematic to the young dog than most of the bones...

Hope we can see some fotos...

PS...great to know that you are a raw meat for dogs stalwart...
    stingray likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Cut the tails and paws/claws off 'possums and discard them (the tails can created a blockage). I just don't like the thought of them eating claws.
    Maybe just old fashioned shit I was taught when shepherding, but better to be sure than sorry.

Freeze sheep meat to kill sheep measles.
    EeeBees and BRADS like this.

Honestly I would just stick to uncooked brisket bones for puppies. They are cheap and challenging for the dogs to chew around the joints, helps with keeping the teeth clean and for a puppy should help while they are teething.

For a puppy I would stick to quality dry kibble to make sure the pup is getting a good balance of all necessary nutrients that you may otherwise get wrong if you go with raw food. I would soak the kibble with milk and separately add additional red meat for protein.

Once they are older I would experiment then.

If it's a pup flag the raw diet and follow that last post.
    Raw is great if done right but the same result can be achieved using a decent dry food mixed with a balanced amount of meat.
    A pup with the shits every other day and long term issues with certain types of meat can be the result of feeding raw wrong.
    Wirehunt and tetawa like this.

Fulla
    I often put rabbits through a trade me hand mincer bones and meat only. Goodness of the bones but so fine you wouldn't know it was in there. I might make it go further by adding rice rolled oats, anything in the cupboard that might be good. Possum bones are just a bit too big for my mincer.

I agree with Petros and Kawhia. Having had gundogs for 40 years and a commercial trainer for over 15 I feed good quality kibble and Brisket bones or Beef Canon bones every fortnight.

My vet considers my dogs among the healthiest she sees through her practice. I have never had a skin issue, digestive issue, or dental hygiene issue.

Many of the "Diet" concepts are over thought and over sold by people who are compensating for a lack on knowledge elsewhere in the canine field, usually training.

Dogs have extremely robust digestive systems, it does not need to be over thought. Good luck with your pup and I hope to see you post his progress as he grows up.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Appreciate the replies but must admit I’m more confused than before I posted.

Responses range from;

• Avoid certain bones, others recommend them
    • Remove some parts of the animal
    • Run small game it through a mincer
    • Flag the whole raw feeding approach all together

Also, lots of conflicting advice on the net on biscuits. Some recommend them to supplement a raw diet where others say one or the other, but defiantly not both.

What are people’s views on feeding two meals a day, one raw and one biscuits?

Also, EeeBees you recommend cooking organs to avoid parasites. Will freezing for 3-4 weeks achieve the same thing?

Cooking organs in the recently renovated kitchen with the wife’s new pans is guaranteed to see me joining the dog outside!
    veitnamcam, EeeBees and Gibo like this.

You are over thinking it.
    Follow your pups breeders instructions.
    For what it is worth we feed 50/50 after a year or so old, 25/75 in favor of the dry before then.
    Twice a day for pups, once for adults.
    Mutton,venison, fish and chicken frames provide enough nutrition when balanced out with dry.
    Beef brisket is good but can clog them up if feed too often....it does clean out the anal glands mind.
    Tahr, Petros_mk and Hayden C like this.

Fulla
    Cannon bones broke most of my dogs teeth. But my dog isn't a soft chewers. He's not a hunting dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden C View Post
    Appreciate the replies but must admit I’m more confused than before I posted.

Responses range from;

• Avoid certain bones, others recommend them
    • Remove some parts of the animal
    • Run small game it through a mincer
    • Flag the whole raw feeding approach all together

Also, lots of conflicting advice on the net on biscuits. Some recommend them to supplement a raw diet where others say one or the other, but defiantly not both.

What are people’s views on feeding two meals a day, one raw and one biscuits?
    That's the nature of forums, you need to filter through the information and see what works for you. There are some experienced breeders/handlers above (I don't mean me) that have shared their views and I would go with their suggestion.

If you are after a prescription, I have confidence that most vets will advise to go with quality dry food, at least all the vets I've been to have suggested that.
    Call a few on the phone, they are all happy bunch to provide the info, see what they say.

My 2c. All our working dog pups have been raised on "boilup" Fatty brisket, liver, heart, salt and water boiled till cooked, remove brisket etc and put through a burley mincer. Add rice to the hot liquid and let it absorb, add back in the minced brisket and stir through to make a nice greasy mess. Spoon out into a trough and watch them go!

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    You are over thinking it.
    Follow your pups breeders instructions.
    For what it is worth we feed 50/50 after a year or so old, 25/75 in favor of the dry before then.
    Twice a day for pups, once for adults.
    Mutton,venison, fish and chicken frames provide enough nutrition when balanced out with dry.
    Beef brisket is good but can clog them up if feed too often....it does clean out the anal glands mind.
    Agree I’m over thinking this. I just want to get the pup off to the right start with the best possible diet to supplement the usual socks, shoes, cloths, expensive hunting gear, electrical cords & furniture diet of a typical Labrador

@Hayden C, I truly appreciate you wanting to get your puppy off to the right start... Kawhia is right...go by the breeder's diet and ease the puppy into the diet you wish for him...I feed my puppies twice a day...
    Wirehunt likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...