Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Seeking Lurcher Pup

Wirehunt,
    I cannot see many Whippety types catching 9 to 10 hares in a mornings coursing. The Irish Gypsies along with lads from places in the Uk are coursing hares on the Lincolnshire fens with Saluki X longdogs. I'd like to see a whippety type up against one of them!! "What kind of Whippets do you have here? LOL." In my eyes I'd only put a Whippet in almost the same category as a Greyhound, Speed machines yes & turn on a coin yes, but a good hare and run all day ?? MMHHH

Ejected
    You have one major problem here with hares. Most of the time there is to many of them so the dogs are always picking up a new one.
    However I do have a foxie or two that love nailing them.

Yes they'd be good fun with the Foxie, I had a good Jack Russell as a young Fella and he used to like them too. Weren't good for much when you managed to get them off him though. Yes it spoils a good days racing for me if there's too many hares about as you don't really see the dogs performing well, it's good to see them almost burnt out when they're just a speck in the distance with the dog right up its tail end. However as you'd say if the numbers are high the distractions are too much and an inexperienced dog will run around like an idiot.

Wirehunt,
    Just out of curiosity what height is the bitch and dog that you've just bred the litter of pups from & do you have a photo of them?
    Cheers
    TD

Ejected
    Shit, now I'm gonna have to remember to measure them

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Shit, now I'm gonna have to remember to measure them
    Ha ha good luck, if your memory is as bad as mine it'll not happen "measure what?"

C'mon Wirehunt get your tape measure out. Does anyone know of any lurcher shows that's on anywhere/anytime?
    Cheers

Ejected
    Opps, all the spares have gone.

Hazzid
    Look for a good hard running heading dog if ur going to breed one all farm dogs have nuts in normally header will b bit harder and rasher than collie normally softer kinder not quite as grunty but there good at peeping at sheep from behind thisles (there's always exptions) probably cost a box of beers for a survice fee

EvilRoy. A mate of mine has just done me a great favour and bred her Collie Greyhound with another Collie X for me to start my breeding lines off. I think they'll be just what you're looking for. They'll have stamina to burn mate.c I'll be looking to breed one of the pups next year with a Saluki or Greyhound. The bitch has just had 9 pups. You interested?
    zachpress1 likes this.

Hey topdog I could be interested in one of those pups if there are any left. What size are you expecting them to come out at?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sorry slightly off topic,
    We have 4 whippets, they are pets definitely not working or hunting dogs, I'm keen to give em a run on rabbits some time soon, what I have noticed is that the bitches seem to be less recall orientated than the dogs ? is this common ?
    Our 2 dogs have almost perfect recall and will even give up chasing if called, the bitches 1 will mostly come if called enough the other I wouldn't be confident if she was focussed on prey.
    They are beautiful dogs and make awesome pets, really good with kids and happy to do as much or as little as you want.
    They are as happy sitting in the sun under the window as they are out in the field going for a run.
    have always wondered why the dogs seem more eager to please and more loyal than the bitches ???
    Last edited by dannyb; 03-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.