Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Sleep well old boy

Yeah some people just regard dogs as tools to use like a screwdriver or spanner. If it goes wrong or doesn't do what they want, they get rid of it. That's not the way I think at all. If the dog goes wrong behaviourally, it's usually the owner that has caused the issue. There are about 2% which just have their brains wired up wrong but they are usually evident as pups.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    A friend of mine has had several GSP's for hunting.

His first and best passed away, and was replaced with a bitch that would trail bark and was no use.

But he had young children, she had a lovely nature, and was perfect for them to grow up with.

All things considered, her true gift was friendship, not a role as a working dog.

Some of the idiots of the dog world have a valuable role that way.
    Max Headroom likes this.

Thats hard. Sorry to hear of your loss. Im glad you can bring it here to talk about it, it helps. Best wishes.
    rugerman likes this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Thanks Mr Browning. Yes it does help
    Fawls likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Like I said in the accidental placing. If I was a dog I would of loved to have been owned by you, you have a very beautiful soul. Now go and share it with another worthy canine friend.
    rugerman likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Thanks mate.
    I think I might wait a bit before I get another dog. Since i haven't been able to go any overnight hunts or tramps for a few years with all my bloody high dependency dogs all requiring miscellaneous medication. My Brother has just got a job on the Nelson chopper and I've got a mate with a boat in the Marlborough sounds so I might make a trip to the top of the south in Spring for some hunting and fishing.

northdude
    good idea and maybe come home with a new mate
    rugerman likes this.

You might be right NorthDude
    there is a new huntaway puppy in the house next to work which I made the mistake of patting yesterday. man it's hard to resist getting another one. I still haven't cleaned up the biscuits left in Rockys bowl so I definitely haven't moved on yet. Cleaning up all his stuff is not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    You might be right NorthDude
    there is a new huntaway puppy in the house next to work which I made the mistake of patting yesterday. man it's hard to resist getting another one. I still haven't cleaned up the biscuits left in Rockys bowl so I definitely haven't moved on yet. Cleaning up all his stuff is not easy.
    You don't need to resist and Rocky would understand totally, he would want you to have another mate to look after you when needed.
    I always swear "never again" at each dogs passing and somehow find a new dog arrives.................................
    rugerman and Scouser like this.

RIP Rocky, feel for you mate, thats not an easy decision to make, you gave him a great life
    rugerman likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

northdude
    Yea it kind of feels that your being unfaithful not sure if that's the right word when you get a new dog but I look at it as not a replacement as if it was a good dog nothing will ever replace it like one of your kids it's more a new member of the family do you still have rotties I used to have them beautiful smart dogs one of them would even herd stock once it figured out what you were trying to do
    rugerman and mikee like this.

Dont be in any hurry to move on, its all part of the process.

I think I grieved more at the loss of my pet than I did when my father passed away (and I had a good relationship with my Dad). Odd ah.

And while it might be hard to resist picking up a new dog, I have always been a firm believer that a dog (or cat or any pet), chooses you, you dont choose it.

You will know when it is the right dog to bring home, it will tell you.

Hang in there.
    rugerman, ROKTOY and Max Headroom like this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Cheers guys
    No NorthDude I lost my Rottie girl last march, and the old boy went a couple of years before that so I'm down to no dogs now. At least I had Rocky when I lost Shyla, which gives you a reason to carry on since they need to go for a walk etc...

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Sorry for your loss rugerman. Plenty of good memories though.
    rugerman likes this.

feel ya pain man feel ya pain.sometimes think a dog is worth ten of some of these types that profess to know whats good for all of us!!
    rugerman and Frogfeatures like this.

RIP rocky,you were obviously well looked after and will never be forgotten,my condolences mate.
    rugerman likes this.