Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Time commitment in training/having a deer indicator dog

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    mostly bird dogging people but youll learn plenty at the club
    Cheers for the tip el borracho, this club should be quite helpful.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

I go as far as suggesting if you are looking at using a versatile/HPR breed on deer, train it as a bird dog first. The obedience and steadiness that comes with bird dog training is of much merit to a deer dog, and after it has a bit of age on it and it settles down, it will be prime for deer, having developed a proper bond with you, be properly obedient under high distraction, and stand game. That and the obvious advantage of having a more useful dog.

However as you are new to deer hunting, I would agree with your suggestion of holding off on getting a dog for deer just yet. Get some more animals under the belt, as you need to reliably be able to put deer in front of this dog. Secondly, go out with someone who has a top indicator dog, and see if it really is for you.

Time frame? There is none. In my experience, the more you put into them, the better they get. Then one day, they're gone. Enjoy your time with them and use that time wisely!

The club is having a training day feb 6 out Waimaku way. Might be worth stopping by and having a look. I'll have my dogs out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post
    The club is having a training day feb 6 out Waimaku way. Might be worth stopping by and having a look. I'll have my dogs out there.
    Cheers for letting me know. I'd come down but I'm tied up with my Grandma's birthday.
    Yeah nah bro

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I go as far as suggesting if you are looking at using a versatile/HPR breed on deer, train it as a bird dog first. The obedience and steadiness that comes with bird dog training is of much merit to a deer dog, and after it has a bit of age on it and it settles down, it will be prime for deer, having developed a proper bond with you, be properly obedient under high distraction, and stand game. That and the obvious advantage of having a more useful dog.

However as you are new to deer hunting, I would agree with your suggestion of holding off on getting a dog for deer just yet. Get some more animals under the belt, as you need to reliably be able to put deer in front of this dog. Secondly, go out with someone who has a top indicator dog, and see if it really is for you.

Time frame? There is none. In my experience, the more you put into them, the better they get. Then one day, they're gone. Enjoy your time with them and use that time wisely!
    Pointer - I don't hunt any birds and to be honest, it doesn't really interest me. I hear what you are saying those when it comes to the high distraction and stand game, and when I come to train my dog, I'll try to use methods that train these skills.
    I'd love to go out with someone who has a good indicator dog and see it in action.
    Yeah nah bro

Then I would suggest a Lab
    RCGSP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Then I would suggest a Lab
    Why's that, Pointer? I guess they're more manageable, less high-energy, easier to train?
    I've always thought (in my ignorance) of Labs as retriever dogs but I've found it interesting in reading a little more about deer dogs that plenty of guys hunt with them, blacks in particular. Do they point? Or do you read their body language in other ways?
    Yeah nah bro

Also, I guess the lab gene pool in NZ would be so big and with them being so common as pets I'd have to be careful to pick from a good line, or not really?
    Ruff likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

Having a GSP as a deer indicator only is a bit like having a ferrari for going to the grocery store. There's way more horsepower there than you need and there are other options out there that are easier to handle. If you want something to do it all then by all means go for it but for deer only I think a GSP is the wrong choice especially for your first one.
    Wildman, Wirehunt, Ruff and 1 others like this.

Yes you have to be careful of what lines you buy from regardless of breed
    Ruff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post
    Having a GSP as a deer indicator only is a bit like having a ferrari for going to the grocery store. There's way more horsepower there than you need and there are other options out there that are easier to handle. If you want something to do it all then by all means go for it but for deer only I think a GSP is the wrong choice especially for your first one.
    Ah I understand, that puts it into perspective.
    Yeah nah bro

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Why's that, Pointer? I guess they're more manageable, less high-energy, easier to train?
    I've always thought (in my ignorance) of Labs as retriever dogs but I've found it interesting in reading a little more about deer dogs that plenty of guys hunt with them, blacks in particular. Do they point? Or do you read their body language in other ways?
    Yep, thats it in a nutshell. Get a versatile/HPR breed if you have the work for it; otherwise steer clear.

As for labs as deer dogs...due to his hip dysplasia your new lab can't run, so he hobbles around behind you in the bush. Being short of leg and immensely over weight from his love of eating, you know he won't go far. By watching his body language, you know when he stops his ever present panting and wags his tail and licks his chops, there are deer nearby. Job done

That should start a fight

All lab jokes aside, I honestly believe most hunters in NZ would do better with a lab than a HPR breed. Its just finding good labs is the trouble!
    Spanners, Wirehunt, Ruff and 1 others like this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Im in the same boat
    Looking for a pet that I will hunt with.
    Due to my time away and the Mrs (current) lack of interest in training, I was initially looking at a GSP, but I think maybe a bit high maintenance at this stage of our life

How do labs typically respond when indicating animals other than wags his tail and licks his chops, there are deer nearby

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Im in the same boat
    Looking for a pet that I will hunt with.
    Due to my time away and the Mrs (current) lack of interest in training, I was initially looking at a GSP, but I think maybe a bit high maintenance at this stage of our life

How do labs typically respond when indicating animals other than wags his tail and licks his chops, there are deer nearby
    Spanners, Zeb was a lab x huntaway, but this is fairly typical lab indicating. He was an outstanding dog and would would walk you right into them. Here he is winding a deer near the Makino hut. He's been gone for a few years now.

Spanners and phillipgr like this.

HF1
    Contact the GSP Club as they are having a training day on 6 Feb at Kumeu. You'll meet a lot of great people who will be keen to help you with your dog regardless of breed. Look forward to seeing you there.

Oops - just saw that you can't make 6 Feb but there are other days.

I found the members of this club made me feel really welcome even though I was a complete novice.