Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kawhia
  • 1 Post By Munsey

Thread: Tracking

Tracking

*gulp* here goes, a training question.

Have any of you trained your dog to track (blood) or just to indicate live animals? If your dog tracks, did you actually train it or do you just know your dog's body language well enough to understand when they are searching?

Cheers,
    Dougie
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

That's from Red Deer in NZ by Roger Lentle and Frank Saxton. Hope you can read it all good haha
    Yeah nah bro

Interesting, cheers for that.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Interesting, cheers for that.
    No worries. It's a good book that, you should read the whole thing.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

group of wirehair owners, tried the blood trail method a while back after getting a few pointers on laying the trail by the germans.
    all 4 dogs had never been on a tracking collar and lead let alone an aged track, we simply laid a impact point and a blood drip over 500 meters and left it for a few hours..... didn't need to get down and sniff the ground, put dog on lead and took him to the start, they turned into another dog and easily found the deer tail at the end.
    JoshC likes this.

Wow, a 500m old track? That seems like starting at the big leagues!

I am doing some tracking work (slighting different, dogs looking for people) but was interested to see if anyone had tried out a few of the methods that I've been learning about. I want to say "I guess blood is an easier smell to smell" but the reality probably is that the most unimportant or minimal smell information to us humans is just as "loud" to a dog's nose as a Sunday roast in the oven in our own house all day!

Cool tools the old dogs, huh. I'll get that book some day, Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    "I guess blood is an easier smell to smell"
    Well you'd be right, blood is very easy for a dog. Don't be fooled by the numbers. 500m blood track is a walk in the park for almost any dog with a nose and 4 legs and a desire to ground scent. Wait until you are doing 2 day old tracks on foot scent over variable surfaces... then I'll listen! Above all, have fun Dougie

I scored twenty litres of deer blood from the works , in big bladders already had the stuff added to keep it runny . Did heaps with my dog , pointers right it's a piece of piss for them to follow . Don't no if I achieved anything but my therory was if my dog had a choice to track multiple deer he would choose the one leaking blood ???
    Jimmy james likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The Versatile Gun dogs Vizsla Page

There is an article on tracking training here.

I haven't a clue who CJ Walton is, but I certainly wouldn't be training a dog to track using that methodology.

Gah, that website hurt my eyes.

We haven't done any longer duration tracks than about five minutes old. I will let you know how we get on though my trainer is off doing 30hour tracks this week!!! Very cool stuff.