Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Training Ace

I watched it at my mates place. Mostly pretty simple stuff.
    A few simple things trained young. I am having trouble setting the right distance but he's only 6mnths which the blueprint would suggest was a bit early.
    Having watched most of it I think it's worth a couple hundred bucks. I don't think you really need to keep watching it endlessly as he's put it in pretty simple terms.
    Ive also listened to all his Q and A's on YouTube. Mostly just fixing problems but he reinforces the principals in the b/print.
    My mates dog is really good but he's broken a few of the rules and is having quite a few kennel probs. It's a bit easier for me as I'm working from home.
    rugerman likes this.

I think I'll buy his book as having a look at his vids has actually been quite helpful and I should do something to repay.

Ace looks like he is going great

Not bad. I'm not the most patient dog trainer so considering my failings, he's doing very well.

With the change to lv3 I had Ace back in the hills again.

After hitting the bush he started winding within a very short time. Too short. I didn't drive all that way to pull the trigger and head home. We cut across the creek and pushed up high. He took me to a pig wallow and seemed to want to find the pigs. As they were a mob I decided it was a little too confusing and moved him on to the top of the ridge. A scattering of goats were in the valley but in pretty uncomfortable spots and with the lv3, the last thing I needed was a fall so I turned and headed up to some closer bluffs.

Nearing these he gave me the heads up that something was near but with fresh cattle sign up there and blustery wind I didn't take him seriously. That was until I heard an animal down below breaking. We followed up but the blustery wind was a nightmare so eventually stopped near a waterfall and had lunch. Halfway through his nose went up and from downwind I hear a goat. Bit a of a sneak and some effing around to get in position resulted in a nanny(let the big billy with her go). Awesome. Another good experience for him.

Name:  IMG_20210903_104235.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  5.31 MB

Back wheeled her for some rolled roasts later and headed for the car.

A couple hundred mtrs along the face whilst sidling through a bit of a bluffy system his nose goes up and he's hackled and sure something's close. Sure enough there's a saanen x nanny and a young billy. The billy is pretty close so we move in and at 5m Ace starts bloody growling and even lets out two small barks. I could have throttled him. I quickly drill the goat and let the nanny go on her way. Hoping that was a one off. I'm assuming it's because he's a bit young and it's still a little scary. It better be. Either way, all good experience. That makes four goats for three hunts. Of course we could have shot more but they wouldn't have been valuable to his training.

Name:  IMG_20210903_111946.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  6.26 MB

Sounds like he is going great really for a young one. With the growling, I would say he either wasn't too sure what type of critter it was, or was a bit worried about it. He hasn't been chased or hassled from a farm or pet goat has he. If not, it's probably just that he is a bit young and still a bit unsre of himself etc...
    Cowboy likes this.

Yeah that's what I think. Michaels re commends a bit older. I just am impatient.
    He hasn't had any bad experiences with big animals and like the blueprint I've conditioned him to cattle and the donkeys at our place.
    Like you say, I think it was just a bit too intense and scary as he could sort of see it but not what it was.
    rugerman likes this.

Haven't had Ace out in a while thanks the the general lock down drama.

Hit the tangis today. Not really his find as I gave a bleat on the opposite side of the vaklley to some bluffs and a young nanny bleated back below me. He did a good job ofter that and was rock solid with it in full view at 20 ft until I could get the right shot. Name:  IMG_20211008_094949.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  6.56 MB
    Name:  IMG_20211008_100120.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  4.19 MB

Git onto a nanny and kid on way out but decided to leave them.
    Micky Duck and Snoppernator like this.

Well I see I haven't added much for a long time. He's been going pretty well.
    Took him in this roar, and he took me in a couple. Ended up taking a 5yr old stag with rubbish head for meat on the last day.
    It's awesome having a dog to tell you where sika are but he's still immature and not very still, especially in the roar.
    Name:  IMG_20230410_092417.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  4.83 MB

Some other successes for him. Also my daughters first goat.
    Name:  IMG_20230205_184610.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  6.05 MB
    Name:  IMG_20230513_114645.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  4.87 MB
    Name:  IMG_20230107_071252.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  6.81 MB

Hey Cowboy, Ace seems to be doing well. Love the grin on your daughters face too, well done to all three of you for her first goat.

See that you see have the handbrake (Long line) on Ace, pushing range? Mines the same but that's many because on/off hunting and lack of consistently been in the bush each weekend.

Keep the updates coming, enjoying seeing Ace's progress

Cheers FBD

Mean, just adds so much to the hunt experience when your best mate comes along. Always keen.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Yeah FBF, He broke once at the end of summer and luckily I caught the string. Wasn't easy for him as the was 30 or so goats feeding through the gigi. One was only 8m or so away.
    How do you upload vid these days on here?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Dont think you can upload videos, just link to y-tube or other video hosting sites. But I dont really know.
    Cowboy likes this.

Today's effort.
    Ace picked up wind soon after leaving the car. Sure enough there were freshish marks and shit. Higher we got he started zeroing in on scent.
    I mad a guess as to where they'd be and bumped into them at about 20m. Ace was glued to a Billy I couldn't see but chose to take a skinny old nanny. Mob cruised away and I dealt with her. Spent some time checking out some other mobs in the distance then went to leave and he piked up a young nanny. I thought he was winding the earlier carcass. Decided to reward him with a second kill. I normally only take 1 orn2 during a hunt as I want to leave plenty for others and for training purposes.
    Butchered what I wanted and headed for car only to cone across another lot on the way.
    Name:  IMG_20230627_095942.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  6.55 MB
    Name:  IMG_20230627_102322.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  6.72 MB
    Name:  IMG_20230627_110121.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  4.97 MB