Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: What GPS are you using for your dog

What GPS are you using for your dog

Had an alpha 100 which worked fine for 2 years and then shat itself, i wasnt sure if thats normal or to look at replacing with the newer models so i dont run into this issue again, or was just unlucky and ill grab another 100

100 is now end of line
    Mine was one of first series shipped here with nz legal freqs, still going strong. Used every day since 2015.
    On off button worn thru so handset is no longer water proof.
    I will replace with 300 and the newer collars.
    Units and collars for new ones jave way better battery life.
    Dublin likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I've been using the Garmin Alpha 200i and TT15 for close on to 5 years now with my indicating dog. Brilliant. I primarily using the gps to not get lost, and to vibrate silently if Kai gets a little too far out of view (normally 1-2 times a day tops). Both are still going strong. I would recommend the the Garmin Alpha 300i (Luke Care from NZ Hunter reviewed it recently - much better battery life) and the TT15.

1. Buy 2 spare batteries for the Alpha 300i, they are light and aren't expensive, and in a plastic bag in your carry. If it is cold and wet, and you are wearing the device externally and a bit, the battery will drain down from 40% fast. On a sunny day, the battery will last all day, but 2 spares, and a usb cable to charge to battery bank at night is good security.

2. Download the Topo 40 onto it. Instructions in another thread, but provides the same contouring as with the Topo 40 app, the Garmin Express mapping is pretty lame for detail, if you are bush hunting I recommend it. The Birdseye view (google earth type overlay) is a nice to have, but your normally operating in topo mode.

3. Twin Needle produce an excellent external belt pocket with buckle. I've got one on my bumbag, and one on my backpack. They are brilliant and secure your very expensive gps. Also means it is always at reach if you ever get in the ....
    "Death - our community's number one killer"