Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Whats the best

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Did you get another one?
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Not yet , negotiations are looking positive though.
    Wildman likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mate this is like asking a person which ute is the best or what makes someone attractive. There are a million answers. You say an all rounder so I assume that means you want a retrieve as well as an indicate. If so, that narrows it right down. If you want a steady indicator then the versatiles can be a challenge as they are actually bred and designed to range and quarter as much as point. They can be pushy in the bush when you want them in close but if you are a good trainer and get a really well bred and really placid one you will be fine. They are a slow maturing dog. I would run a million miles from any trendy or new breeds. Don't be someone's guinea pig. Go with safe. You alone can decide what safe looks like. To be frank I would agree re the black lab. A small stature bitch. It wont be a flashy indicator but you wont be chasing it around either. It will still lock up and they track really well. No issues with the cold either and great with the grand kids. But get a good one. As I always say, talk is cheap, performance is everything. Get something you have the greatest chance of working. Personally myself I would never own a WHP. I have seen too many (the majority) with issues. But the few nice ones I have seen were lovely dogs that I really liked. Same old story, well bred and a good handler and plenty work is a good recipe for success. Two more things. You must get the breed or type that excites you and you like the look of. If you like WHPs then go that way and pick well and train them so they dont piss you off. And dont rush the choice of a pup. A year choosing or waiting for the right one is well worth it for the next 12 years. Enjoy and report back. Cheers H.
    rugerman and mikee like this.