Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The new cnc lathe has arrived.

Awesome I can see all sorts of goodies coming off that one, basically everything except the barrel. We all look forward to seeing what you come up with!

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Cam is stupidly easy when you have software that is integrated to the cam.
    I use solidworks and solid cam.
    You can learn enough in an arvo to get parts coming off the machine.
    What control is it running?
    Fanuc.

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by mutton gun View Post
    Would you be able to make a MDT Chassis type with that gear?
    Maybe, be more suited to a cnc mill.

Hi Darren,

I'm guessing that about now you are wishing you had spent the extra $70k and gone for the Okuma?

When i was machine shopping Victor was not even on my list of considerations. Rule #1 is never believe the salesman. Rule #2 - Always do your homework. There are some good taiwanese machines out there now, but there is some pretty average stuff too. If you are going for twin spindle or big machines and high accuracy, the commodity grade machines are going to fall short of expectations. Kind of like comparing a vortex or konus scope with a nightforce or s&b.

Hope you can get the issues sorted out by the dealer, you shouldnt be having to diagnose stuff yourself. After all, you're not far from auckland now and they should have a tech down there for you pronto. Good luck with it.

Regards, Dean.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by dfmaisey View Post
    Hi Darren,

I'm guessing that about now you are wishing you had spent the extra $70k and gone for the Okuma?

When i was machine shopping Victor was not even on my list of considerations. Rule #1 is never believe the salesman. Rule #2 - Always do your homework. There are some good taiwanese machines out there now, but there is some pretty average stuff too. If you are going for twin spindle or big machines and high accuracy, the commodity grade machines are going to fall short of expectations. Kind of like comparing a vortex or konus scope with a nightforce or s&b.

Hope you can get the issues sorted out by the dealer, you shouldnt be having to diagnose stuff yourself. After all, you're not far from auckland now and they should have a tech down there for you pronto. Good luck with it.

Regards, Dean.
    I'm not sure why this was brought up on here but ok ill bite....
    Yes we did have some issues with thermal growth that I thought was excessive so I posted on a cnc forum to get an idea what I should expect (you have obviously read that and posted on here). Total cnc who supplied the lathe have been very proactive on the issue and its now sorted, the problem was quite straight forward once they worked out what it was.

An Okuma would have been nice but I couldn't afford 340k.

You are coming across as if I didn't put any time researching machines.( the machines that you bought didn't make it onto my list, what does that tell you?) I spent over 6 months trying to decide what best fitted my budget, talking to people that owned the machines, (not just reading online forums) and the biggest thing for me was backup, I have heard nightmare stories relating to backup from a few NZ companies. No point owning the most expensive machine if it has no backup.

Now that you are manufacturing suppressors maybe you are trying to discredit us, I duno...... I see you have a few issues of your own, but I wont be posting on here.

L.R
    Dean Maisey your a special character that's for sure.

Interesting!
    How long before 3D printers are going to be able to make all this stuff? I see they are making houses and cars with them now.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Interesting!
    How long before 3D printers are going to be able to make all this stuff? I see they are making houses and cars with them now.
    Yes

But would you buy a 3d Printed House or Car?

3d Printers are great but they are not the miracle machines many will lead you to believe.

Cheers
    Pete

actually a suppressor would be prime territory for a 3d printer - complex internal geometry that can be built in one part - no assembly required.
    Tommy likes this.

Already are printed in sintered s/s Ti are they not?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by DPT View Post
    I'm not sure why this was brought up on here but ok ill bite....
    Yes we did have some issues with thermal growth that I thought was excessive so I posted on a cnc forum to get an idea what I should expect (you have obviously read that and posted on here). Total cnc who supplied the lathe have been very proactive on the issue and its now sorted, the problem was quite straight forward once they worked out what it was.

An Okuma would have been nice but I couldn't afford 340k.

You are coming across as if I didn't put any time researching machines.( the machines that you bought didn't make it onto my list, what does that tell you?) I spent over 6 months trying to decide what best fitted my budget, talking to people that owned the machines, (not just reading online forums) and the biggest thing for me was backup, I have heard nightmare stories relating to backup from a few NZ companies. No point owning the most expensive machine if it has no backup.

Now that you are manufacturing suppressors maybe you are trying to discredit us, I duno...... I see you have a few issues of your own, but I wont be posting on here.
    Think you have got it sorted with the extra baffle for the 223. Very quiet [ at least that was what we thought yesterday] Still 3 down is proof.We got our can done in Tokoroa. Man they make some good gear down there.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yes they are @veitnamcam.

Right here in NZ in fact

http://oceania-defence.com/index.php...uvj3ijk4ii06k4

Cheers
    Pete

Great stuff mate, good to see you will be producing more of your high quality supressors.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    yup, I fondled one of these down in Dunedin Sept last year, bloody nice bit of kit
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

MSL
    Oh you brought a shit machine, I brought a better one, I'm a better gunsmith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spanners, Toby, Happy and 1 others like this.