Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: NZDA.

NZDA is in a difficult place to be sure. I rejoined about 5 years ago after a 20 year hiatus. Nothing much had changed - bunch of mostly good guys doing a few things - mostly real good like young hunters courses. I started going to meetings but have now faded from that cause they weren't really offering me anything (and I'm not just a taker, I'm on the committee/trustee of 5 organisations, just in from Invercargill Rifle Club AGM).

I remain a member because I believe in the power of national level advocacy/political input and I think they communicate/consult/deliver well on this, but its bloody hard yards to keep people (young ones esp) engaged and paying for this sort of thing.
    Micky Duck and Russian 22. like this.

Ive been a member for 52 years.
    kiwijames, duckdog and Blisters like this.

I mainly go for the 2 dollar beers
    norsk and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    NZDA is in a difficult place to be sure. I rejoined about 5 years ago after a 20 year hiatus. Nothing much had changed - bunch of mostly good guys doing a few things - mostly real good like young hunters courses. I started going to meetings but have now faded from that cause they weren't really offering me anything (and I'm not just a taker, I'm on the committee/trustee of 5 organisations, just in from Invercargill Rifle Club AGM).

I remain a member because I believe in the power of national level advocacy/political input and I think they communicate/consult/deliver well on this, but its bloody hard yards to keep people (young ones esp) engaged and paying for this sort of thing.
    Interesting comments, the branch I'm a member of has a very low turnout at meetings I am presuming because of the lack of interesting entertainment, but members don't say anything they just don't turn up.

What do you think is lacking at your branch meetings Tentman?
    I hear stories of new members not being made to feel welcome and have to say that is why I didn't bother rejoining the local branch some 30 odd years ago, but joined a different branch a bit over 20 years ago with a different result, so not all branches are the same.
    Beaker likes this.

nah I was made welcome enough, helped that I knew a few of the guys. I went to a few working bees and a few meetings but nothing "came of it". I'm currently on the committee of a rodeo club, a rifle club and the hall committee, and they all have similar issues with "engaging members".

In the rodeo club we try and give new members "a job" so they can get involved but I'd say the success rate is less than 50%. Funny old world we live in.

Life is getting busier and busier as cost go up so more worky worky for money required to make ends meet so less time for volunteer type crap instead of getting out and doing it...

As a young hunter I found that they were great for advice. But you're kinda on your own. Went to my first party hunt. Got paired up for that then was on my own.

Funnily enough the good looking girls never have that issue.

The party hunts can be good. Usually a good way to meet people and make hunts pretty affordable

I end up going to the meetings for cheap beer, venison and chatting with mates.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Yes. Members should have a say. But just imagine the mess if this forum was left to run the country.
    We couldn't really do a worse job than our elected representatives to be honest. Who knows we could even fluke better results.

Just out of interest (I'm not a member) who can explain all the different membership levels of NZDA as it doesn't really say on their website that I can find.
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Just out of interest (I'm not a member) who can explain all the different membership levels of NZDA as it doesn't really say on their website that I can find.
    Lets see if I get this right, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong,

Senior member - eligible if you are between 18 and 65 years old
    Junior member - eligible if you are under 18
    Student member - eligible if your are over 18 and still a student or an apprentice
    Superannuant member - those that are eligible to receive National Superannuation.
    Family member - partner, child, grandchild of a member or members partner
    Associate member - a membership where you only get the benefits the branch offers associates, you don't get the magazine, not eligible for the public liability insurance and not eligible to enter national competitions.

I think that covers all the different member classes.
    308 and Happy Jack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Lets see if I get this right, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong,

Senior member - eligible if you are between 18 and 65 years old
    Junior member - eligible if you are under 18
    Student member - eligible if your are over 18 and still a student or an apprentice
    Superannuant member - those that are eligible to receive National Superannuation.
    Family member - partner, child, grandchild of a member or members partner
    Associate member - a membership where you only get the benefits the branch offers associates, you don't get the magazine, not eligible for the public liability insurance and not eligible to enter national competitions.

I think that covers all the different member classes.
    I believe that is correct, also to note that Associate means no voting rights, I think

Also the public liability insurance is a bit of a moot point from what i have heard as they no longer go after you if you accidentally burn a forest down (case law, I think, happy to be corrected)
    Beaker likes this.

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I believe that is correct, also to note that Associate means no voting rights, I think

Also the public liability insurance is a bit of a moot point from what i have heard as they no longer go after you if you accidentally burn a forest down (case law, I think, happy to be corrected)
    I'd just like to be provided the insurance policy terms, before paying the membership money.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Yeah I understand that branches vary a great deal but HVDA is really good and they get a lot of members pitching in to help at bees and whatnot

Never enough but y'know
    small_caliber likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I'd just like to be provided the insurance policy terms, before paying the membership money.
    Which branch are you near?
    You could possibly go along to one of their meetings and ask.