Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: How to become a search and rescue volunteer?

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    I have been involved in SARS in way or form for over 30 yrs. SARS have many different fields of expertise. The Police are your best first contact as all Search and Rescue operations are run by them. Great to see you want to get involve, it can be very trying and emotionally, physically and mentally tough. Most times thou it is very rewarding whether your successful or not at least you tried, and that is important not just for you but also the others involved. Pengy got me back into Land SARS. I am at the moment setting up a swift maritime response unit for the Lake and the Police are 110% behind it. You will also met great people and get the chance to go in to some pretty amazing country. The other plus is that your hunting access and skills will be improved especially around GPS and map reading. Don't procrastinate do it now they need you.
    All Canterbury SAR ops are meant to be run by Christchurch but it takes them at least 2 hrs to get organised and up here, in which time we have usually already solved the problem. Therefore we tend to have a bit of unofficial autonomy.
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    One would have to presume that he has some sort of injury that has prevented him from walking out unassisted. Any way great result for all.
    I don't think any injury, just wandering away in opposite direction...he was on Waipapa track when found so I guess he was wandering towards Karangahake Gorge