Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Bol Tackshin
  • 2 Post By Billbob
  • 2 Post By BuzzyBullseye

Thread: Buying compound bows from Aussie

Buying compound bows from Aussie

I'm interested in buying a beginners bow set and I noticed that Aussie online shops have a bit more options and often better prices than in NZ shops. I contacted a couple and they ship here (Apexhunting & Archery Supplies), but before I keep searching I thought to reach out in case any of you had experience buying overseas and shipping to NZ. Is it worth the trouble? I assume I will have to pay customs duties, is this just GST or are there more taxes to consider?.
    Cheers

What you cant buy from an overseas buyer is after sales service.Nor will your purchase be covered by the The Consumer Guarantees Act if it turns to custard.

Sometimes saving a dollar doesnt save you a dollar at all.... And you wont be supporting a kiwi business either

it will be uninominal inc freight etc

Bro supporting kiwi business should be the least of your concern, bows in Nz have a ridiculous mark up over international prices, just so
    old mate can get rich off you

Id plan an Ozzie holiday and grab one when you’re over there, also join some of the second hand Facebook groups in Australia, they go for heaps less there

Freight and getting stung with gst will make it un economical to send unless you have mates in oz that was will
    Send it for you and stitch up the value

someone on here had beginners compound bows for sale ages ago...and quite a few of the sets too.... anyone remember who it was???
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The service Ive been getting lately from kiwi businesses I wouldn't be concerned about supporting them....
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

The problem with bows is they take a bit of setting up to get shooting right, if you are a beginner you really need a shop to do it. Some bows need a bow press to do the adjustments. It can be a lot of fiddling around. But I don’t know if there are any proper archery shops close to Wellington
    rugerman, Bol Tackshin and Billbob like this.

If you are going to buy from Aussie, you may as well get them directly from China for even less. I wouldn't advise it though, as bows need a skilled human touch to get the best from them. For the inexperienced, buying cheap gear without getting it set up just right for you is a surefire way of making sure you don't get maximum enjoyment and success from the sport.
    Billbob likes this.

As @stug says, as a beginner you need the bow set up for you. Would be best for you to get up to Hamilton/Auckland or down to arrowhead archery down here and get something set up exactly to suit you. If you were an experienced archer and know how to set up and tune a bow then importing something that wasn't available here may make sense. I had a mate buy a bow off a shelf, not set up for him and he spent months fiddling around with it untill he gave it up from bad experiences.
    Bol Tackshin and Micky Duck like this.

Thanks for the great responses. You gave me lots of pros and cons to consider.
    Since I am a newbie I am intending to connect with my local archery club, for training, advice and practice. I wonder if they have the expertise to tune a bow, that could solve one of the cons.
    stug and Bol Tackshin like this.

why not just buy a mangkung bow here, relatively cheap and 2 year warranty. bought one for my missus, wound it down to 35lb pull and she loves it