Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Ted6. 5
  • 4 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Ted6. 5
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By 7mm Rem Mag

Thread: Lesson from the weekend hunt

Lesson from the weekend hunt

Hi All

So I'm new to bow hunting, have shot a few goats but no deer.

Was away for the weekend with a couple of mates who were rifle hunting and me with the bow. I had a yearling hind come down a game trail and turn broadside at about 15m, wind was good. When she looked away I came up to draw and she looked up at the same time so I paused. She looked at me for a bit the trotted off.

On reflection I think I should have completed the draw because I probably would have got a shot away.

Next time eh.
    308, Shearer, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

You never know with deer, I was bow hunting on the weekend, had a deer pop over the ridge 40yd away. I just froze and looked at it, it did the same for a while, it then trotted off through the scrub towards an opening. I nocked the arrow and clipped the release aid on. The deer came into the gap and stopped and looked at me. I pulled up my rangefinder and ranged it, then started drawing my bow, took me two goes to get it drawn. Got anchored and the sights on the deer and it ran off. If I had gotten drawn first go I might have got the arrow away.
    But same trip I had several deer take one look at me and bugger off.
    Trout, Shearer, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

It's not just me then ��
    Better luck next time Stug
    308 likes this.

if in doubt dont fluff about....up and let it rip.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    Came across this the other day. Might be a load of shit, but seems reasonable.

Carbine likes this.

Thanks MB

I have seen a Fallow doe do the whole fake look away thing when I got busted on a Woodhill hunt. That time I stayed frozen and she eventually settled and went back to feeding. I think the clip is reasonably credible.

Has anybody had much success with getting deer to stop/look around with noises: grunts, Hey Buck, etc.? I've had good luck that way before, but maybe those deer were just stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by hugshe View Post
    Has anybody had much success with getting deer to stop/look around with noises: grunts, Hey Buck, etc.? I've had good luck that way before, but maybe those deer were just stupid?
    fawn call works well generally on red and fallow - during roar red hind in esterus call works ( AJ callers used to have it on their callers )- I can do red hind but fallow Doe no- cant find anything on google for fallow does and heard nothing that might sound right out hunting either - yep heard fallow alarm barks but never tried it to see if I can stop one using it

Sometimes a quick whistle works when they are running, they stop to look and see what it is and you can usually get a shot off.
    Silentelk likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Interesting, I've never really worked with game calls much, besides elk, but a fawn call is a great idea

Been there. I was waiting in a blind overlooking a trail my hunting buddy and I had made. I was well concealed, just eyes peaking out from a face covering. Wind was good, arrow nocked on my recurve. The doe I was after finally came down the trail quite relaxed and then suddenly stopped to look directly at me. Not even 15m away. Perhaps got a whiff in a gust. She was tilting her head and staring intensely, trying to work me out. Looked away then suddenly back. Some stomping and little barks. I was frozen, dared not blink. Eyes watering, heart pounding. Then she walked a bit more, testing me out. Now maybe 10m away and more sudden stares. Bow was now raised to set position, but I could not draw. Then she suddenly turned and galloped back up the track barking, warning her tribe. Close but not a chance.

Practice getting full draw quickly, then rip
    Know your pins , know your distances
    I seldom range with the bow
    0-20 pin 1
    20_30ish pin 2 with the pin thickness top 20 bottom 30
    Over30 I'm very reluctant got a 35 and 40m pin
    Practice the full draw only using g deltoid muscle keeping pin on target
    None of the lifting or worse start high dropping Bow onto target
    Point bow at target pin is already pointing, then draw sight , if u use one , to eye
    Lot To be said for bare fingers and a constant draw point , mine is corner of mouth

For those of us shooting trad kit (my goto is currently a 56lb recurve) we can have really quick shot cycles but less effective range than the wheel bows. This can make it harder. But you can slow draw with trad kit, no jerky motions, which can have advantages when it counts. Problem is though if you get it back and need to long hold while your target animal shifts back to position or turns its head away. Many tradders do not practice this. You should be able to hold your bow back for 30seconds at least, as needed. For this I do SPT training on a 68lb longbow, draw and hold drills. Makes your goto trad bow feel a lot lighter and builds hold strength endurance.