Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: curious about pistol shooting

In my experience, club members are eager to show visitors what it's all about and pretty much everyone will get you to have a go with their pistol. I wouldn't make any decisions on brand/style before you try a whole lot. Again based on my own experience (yours may vary) club armourers and long time members are happy for newbies to use the club-owned guns for as long as they like, and/or hold a pistol on their ticket if you find a good deal on one before you get your endorsement sorted, I think we've all been there. I would advise against buying something you haven't shot, e.g. Glocks make a lot of sense on paper, but I personally don't like striker fired guns, and heavier pistols have less felt recoil. I can't think of a reason why you'd want a light pistol, other than being more comfy to carry on your person for long periods of time, which you're not doing unless you're Police or NZDF and want to own the same model of pistol you're issued to train with in your own time (which yes, would be a Glock in either case). If, like me, you've done a lot of rifle shooting before starting you're probably going to find double action revolvers and striker fired semi's difficult to learn because of the way the triggers work, hammer fired pistols or revolvers in single action will be closest to what you're used to (I've been spoiled by rifles with nice light crisp triggers for too long!)
    Scouterkotare and m101a1 like this.

But Cowboy action is where the real fun is.
    NZ32 and Hutch like this.