Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Best hunting torch in NZ guaranteed under $200 range

  1. #16
    Not even Banned ow dannyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, North Canterbury
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Into_Day View Post
    Hi,

    The Sofirn D25S headlamp has micro usb charging, the Osram C8+ V2 has no usb charging and requires an external charger.

    I'm not familiar with the Maxtoch batteries, but from this Trade Me listing I would say no. Depending on what current the protection trips at on those Maxtoch batteries, it could shut the light off on 100% power. That listing says they are Panasonic NCR18650B batteries?. If the protection doesn't trip it may run it, but at a lower output. Ideally you want the Samsung 30Q button top for $11.50

    Panasonic B - 4.9 amps max
    Samsung 30Q - 15 amps max

    If they are the Panasonic B battery, it makes me wonder how honest Maxtoch's lumen ratings are. The Maxtoch M1 Archer had a lumen spec of 1650 lumens which would require approx 7 amps since it was using a dedomed SST-40. The M1 was bundled with this battery. I'm not trying to knock the brand, but since I'm one of the few that has equipment to measure lumens, it gets me thinking.
    I have a pair of Maxtoch 2x shooter that run on 2x 18650's if you want to test one I'd be happy to send it up to you, when I bought them they were considered the best hand held torch/spotlight on the market $$$ to performance.
    I have shot many many bunnies running one mounted on the rifle with a pressure switch and the other as a hand held spotter.
    for run time and brightness they are hard to beat and never thermal out.
    Not knocking your products at all would be interested in how they stack up
    #DANNYCENT

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    canterbury
    Posts
    1,507
    I would be keen to know the run time of the 2 dive torch’s that you have

  3. #18
    Member Night_Into_Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Northland, New Zealand
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I have a pair of Maxtoch 2x shooter that run on 2x 18650's if you want to test one I'd be happy to send it up to you, when I bought them they were considered the best hand held torch/spotlight on the market $$$ to performance.
    I have shot many many bunnies running one mounted on the rifle with a pressure switch and the other as a hand held spotter.
    for run time and brightness they are hard to beat and never thermal out.
    Not knocking your products at all would be interested in how they stack up
    I appreciate the kind offer but I will decline. Maybe if I paid you what it's worth and then refund it once you make sure it's received back in the same condition, minus X amount as a thank you. I hope it's not faulty in hopes to blame me and get a brand new one haha.

    How was the weight of the 2x mounted?

    Being honest, I think the Maxtoch units are the ones to buy if you have that kind of money, great performance, well made etc. My aim is to provide something that still offers good performance but for a much cheaper price. This started out, and still is a hobby I enjoy, it's got little to do with making $$$.

    I had Sofirn send me their new SF47T model for review, it just arrived today. It's an 1100m thrower that uses 2x 21700 batteries and uses the same Osram led I'm using, so far looks decent. Review will be up on Youtube later this week after I finish all the tests and beamshots. Depending on the test results it's looking like I'll stock it. Most of the lights use a single battery so it'll be a welcomed addition.

  4. #19
    Rocks in his head Joe_90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    500
    I've been using a 2x mounted on the scope for a while for rabbit work.
    Weight wise, it's not too bad. Definitely on the bulky side by adding around 100mm in height above scope.
    If you can't beat them, beat them.
    They will be expecting you to join them, so you'll have the element of surprise.

  5. #20
    Member Night_Into_Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Northland, New Zealand
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    I would be keen to know the run time of the 2 dive torch’s that you have
    I hope you understand the ANSI standard for runtime. The timer starts at 30 seconds and runtime is recorded once the output drops to just 10%. It's never X lumens the entire time. This standard is used for every brand. It's good to see more brands are starting to state 5 min + 180 min etc but for many they don't.

    Sofirn SD03

    High - 55min, Med - 2hr 20min, Low - 10hr

    Sofirn SD05

    High - 1hr 38min, Med - 2hr 30min, Low - 8hr 16min

    I also have the Wurkkos DL40

  6. #21
    Member Night_Into_Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Northland, New Zealand
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    I've been using a 2x mounted on the scope for a while for rabbit work.
    Weight wise, it's not too bad. Definitely on the bulky side by adding around 100mm in height above scope.
    Okay, I heard from a gun store that anything over 400g can throw out the sights. No idea how accurate that is

  7. #22
    Not even Banned ow dannyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, North Canterbury
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Into_Day View Post
    Okay, I heard from a gun store that anything over 400g can throw out the sights. No idea how accurate that is
    Wasn't enough to throw out the scopes on my 17hmr or my 7mm rem mag
    Joe_90 and Night_Into_Day like this.
    #DANNYCENT

  8. #23
    Rocks in his head Joe_90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Into_Day View Post
    Okay, I heard from a gun store that anything over 400g can throw out the sights. No idea how accurate that is
    I'll use that as an excuse next time I miss then!
    Seriously, hasn't been an issue on 17hmr, 22 or 223.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    If you can't beat them, beat them.
    They will be expecting you to join them, so you'll have the element of surprise.

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    canterbury
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Into_Day View Post
    I hope you understand the ANSI standard for runtime. The timer starts at 30 seconds and runtime is recorded once the output drops to just 10%. It's never X lumens the entire time. This standard is used for every brand. It's good to see more brands are starting to state 5 min + 180 min etc but for many they don't.

    Sofirn SD03

    High - 55min, Med - 2hr 20min, Low - 10hr

    Sofirn SD05

    High - 1hr 38min, Med - 2hr 30min, Low - 8hr 16min

    I also have the Wurkkos DL40
    Sweet as , both would be a update on the current $4 AliExpress job

  10. #25
    Member Danny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central NI
    Posts
    4,260
    Ordered the above two you mentioned. Hope to have in my paws soon.
    Thanks.
    Dan M

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: What type of torch would be good as a spotlight for hunting
    By jim160 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 28-02-2017, 09:39 PM
  2. longer range hunting
    By superdiver in forum Hunting
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 13-08-2016, 05:17 PM
  3. Long range hunting
    By BRADS in forum Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-02-2015, 03:34 PM
  4. free range hunting
    By sometimes in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2015, 01:01 PM
  5. Long Range Hunting Course
    By Simon 01 in forum Shooting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26-04-2014, 04:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!