Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Vale Nick Harvey

RIP, you have done the shooting community proud, your knowledge of things guns and shooting would be hard to compete with. A lot of knowledge gone with your passing.

nick harvey was australasias anwser to americas jack oconnor and elmer kieth and much more relatable
    The hours i spent pawing thru my uncles australian outdoors after the american magazines.
    two things i,lnever forget is his 7mm harvey magnum based on the 284 winchester and his bedding of the action and up to 25 mm of the barrel he claimed rifles so bedded didnt change point of impact with different loads..also his love of the short barrelled remington mohawk in 308
    god bye old mentor may all the old greats greet you as a equal and friend
    Puffin likes this.

GSP, i'm pretty sure his 7 mm Harvey magnum was the little known 6.5 Rem magnum necked up to 7mm. He was early onto the .284 Win when he re-barrelled a medium length BSA with the tube and chamber. He was pretty genuine and help a lot of blokes get a bit further towards addicted.
    gsp follower and 6x47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    GSP, i'm pretty sure his 7 mm Harvey magnum was the little known 6.5 Rem magnum necked up to 7mm. He was early onto the .284 Win when he re-barrelled a medium length BSA with the tube and chamber. He was pretty genuine and help a lot of blokes get a bit further towards addicted.
    your dead right i had my wires crossed it was his article on the 284 winchester bieng better than it is if loaded to bolt action chamber lengths rather than the semis and lever guns, so utiising the extra capacity of the case. is col allison still kicking

Yes, a wonderful mentor for so many, myself included. Other favourite rifles in his safe were a 6mm Remington and a .257 Roberts, getting their original review each and then some years later at least one more re-write/update. I used to enjoy his turn of phrase. "Treading hard on the heels" was one of these that he used quite frequently when comparing a load in a cartridge under review to a more commonplace round, such as the 120gr in the .257 Roberts when compared to the same weight in a 25–06, or in turn to the 130gr in the 270. Another was the use of "moribund in the marketplace" in reference to cartridges like the aforementioned 6.5mmRM and at one stage the .284Win too, prior to its miracle recovery. I never bothered much with reading about hunting sambar or calling up foxes in Sporting Shooter; the value to me of any issue was what its esteemed Technical Editor had to say on the cartridge of the month. His Practical Reloading Manual was a definitive work, and got me underway with reloading at a time when all my information was coming only from books. His Handbook for Hunters and Shooters was also excellent for someone in the early stages of the sport, and looking through this just now I’d still say that you’d still be hard pressed to find a better introduction. Nick Harvey had that special skill of being a writer able to combine the technical and practical into an enjoyable reading format.
    erniec, 6x47 and paremata like this.

Nick will be missed, he was still writing articles in the last ( march ) issue of the sporting shooter which I get every month. I wrote to him last year for advice about 44mag primers leaking , he wrote back and solved the problem . He remembered the test he did in 1970 of a Winchester model 100 in 243 but he used one in 284 for awhile . He always gave a good reviews of new rifles out with good description of the action ect.His practical reloading column every month was a good read.
    erniec likes this.