Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 5 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 2 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By rewa
  • 5 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By tetawa
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Roarless20

Thread: 115 gr Gold Dot in 270

115 gr Gold Dot in 270

Has anyone tried the Speer 115 Gold Dot in the 270 or is the velocity too great in this superb caliber.

I prefer heavy bullets but played with 110gr in 270 a bit and they certainly work, shot red hind in the neck at 130yds and it vapourized a decent sized portion of said deer, upset the space-time continuum and moved the earth on its axis by three degrees.

Dead deer, bit messy...
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I prefer heavy bullets but played with 110gr in 270 a bit and they certainly work, shot red hind in the neck at 130yds and it vapourized a decent sized portion of said deer, upset the space-time continuum and moved the earth on its axis by three degrees.

Dead deer, bit messy...
    Have used Barnes 110 for many years to great effect, before they were available 110 Hornady's. Just wondered as Speer don't show them in their reloading manual even though they list lighter projectiles which are fairly fragmentable.

Try the speer 100gr hollow points they vapourise stuff big time

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Have used Barnes 110 for many years to great effect, before they were available 110 Hornady's. Just wondered as Speer don't show them in their reloading manual even though they list lighter projectiles which are fairly fragmentable.
    Barnes probably go pretty good, I was using Sierra pro hunters which in general are great projectiles and it certainly killed the one deer I shot with them but was very messy, going a bit quick for zapping a decent sized animal I think.I developed a load with them for my infamous 16” 270 also and they got along at 3000fps from that rifle but I never shot any game with it because it was a sauer and the action was designed and forged by the devil himself - terrible, so it got sent down the road.
    tetawa and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Gold dots hold together ridiculously well. I'd have no hesitation loading them hot in a 270.
    tetawa and Longrun like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

I put up link the other day to research done by chap in the states...he will have tried them,tested them and worked out what works.... they might be listed as 6.8mm and not as .277 as a lot of the newer lighter projectiles are.

They should be shit hot. I've just purchased a 270 myself and would have used them. I only found the 90gr ones and opted for 130gr interlocks instead.

Those 110gr Pro=hunters certainly dump a lot of energy into their target . 1-10 twist has to be good for all the lighter projo's, 115's should handle over 3k , I imagine bonded or partition-style would be great ideally
    Borris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I put up link the other day to research done by chap in the states...he will have tried them,tested them and worked out what works.... they might be listed as 6.8mm and not as .277 as a lot of the newer lighter projectiles are.
    Looked on a couple of Yank forums, they were also wondering why not in 270 loading data by Speer. They were asking Speer but didn't get any satisfactory replies.

this modern trend..where you HAVE to have specific projectile data to make up a load gives me the screaming shits..... its a 90 grn or a 100 grn or 110 grn projectile...find data for projectile of that weight...reduce by 10% like you supposed to for ANY NEW LOAD and work back up again...or if you know your rifle likes loads near top...reduce just a little.... its not rocket science...hells bells if you go back not that many years ALL LOAD DATA was weight specific NOT projectile specific.
    try finding load data for 170 grn speers...in 270
    Ive got it in old nick harvey manual....you can find 180grn barnes data and 160grn partition data or do the line thing....with for eg win 760 it was near as damn it to 2grns powder less per 10grns projectile so changing projectile weight by another 10grns either side of data isnt eggzachary hard to figure out.you get 130-140-150grn data and look at whats happening.....and if you find a really weird thing like the 140 MORE powder than the 130...you look elsewhere to confirm...seen more than one error in manuals over the years like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    this modern trend..where you HAVE to have specific projectile data to make up a load gives me the screaming shits..... its a 90 grn or a 100 grn or 110 grn projectile...find data for projectile of that weight...reduce by 10% like you supposed to for ANY NEW LOAD and work back up again...or if you know your rifle likes loads near top...reduce just a little.... its not rocket science...hells bells if you go back not that many years ALL LOAD DATA was weight specific NOT projectile specific.
    try finding load data for 170 grn speers...in 270
    Ive got it in old nick harvey manual....you can find 180grn barnes data and 160grn partition data or do the line thing....with for eg win 760 it was near as damn it to 2grns powder less per 10grns projectile so changing projectile weight by another 10grns either side of data isnt eggzachary hard to figure out.you get 130-140-150grn data and look at whats happening.....and if you find a really weird thing like the 140 MORE powder than the 130...you look elsewhere to confirm...seen more than one error in manuals over the years like that.
    Also have Nicks original manuals plus very early from ADI, they had some max loads that would scare todays H&S at ADI and maybe Hodgsons. Well aware of "modifying" loading data to suit your means. Just wondered if someone had actually used them in the 270.
    Micky Duck likes this.

tetawa and rewa like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I watched that clip this morning before you posted. It popped up on my phone yesterday while up on the hill.

Bloody impressed with how they retained their weight after expanding so much at such a high impact velocity.
    I have recently bought the 120gr 6.5mm golddots for the .260 bush rifle. Should work a treat if they behave like in the video.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post
    I watched that clip this morning before you posted. It popped up on my phone yesterday while up on the hill.

Bloody impressed with how they retained their weight after expanding so much at such a high impact velocity.
    I have recently bought the 120gr 6.5mm golddots for the .260 bush rifle. Should work a treat if they behave like in the video.
    Ordered some of the 120 grain 6.5mm Speer Gold Dots for my M38 this week as I was down to my last 20 loads. A rifle without loads really is not much use is it. The rifle shot the Speer 120 grain hot cores well some time back and I expect these will be the same.
    Regards GPM.