Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 556/223 brass

556/223 brass

My question is will using 556 brass in my 223 be ok or will it cause issues?

What are your thoughts?

Is it pretty much one and the same?

Cheers Adam
    When hunting think safety first

Ive used it for years without issue....I sorted headstamps and threw out one type as it seemed to have been subjected to hotter pressures(cant recall why I thought that) and had to twirl the deburring tool on mouth of primer pockets to remove crimp...I do use a mildish load so the old warning to back off powder a little as older milserp brass was thicker was taken heed of... thee days because Im at mild load level anyway I take little notice of what brass Im using in the wee rifle,it all groups within inch anyway no matter what rifle is fed LOL.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks MD, I read online where 5.56 brass can cause dangerous pressure and the thicker cases are smaller so if loading heavy projectiles with hot loads it can be dangerous.

so dont load the 3 test loads so hot...like ANY change in components you are SUPPOSED TO drop down and work back up..... Ive always thought,well if its slightly smaller case,I will be getting higher pressure/velocity anyway so never bothered to load hotter..
    for 20 years my go to load has been 24.5grns of AR2206h behind a 50-55grn projectile....... have a look at the loads fellas are using with heavies and you will ALSO see that same charge weight......strange as it may seem
    also if you compare .222 and .223 load data the smaller case will have higher velocity with same powder charge......again strange but true.

Thanks MD, now I have my load sorted Im just not sure I can be bothered working up a load again.

Lazy I know.

go on..load 3 dropping powder by half a grain and shoot them and see......

Greetings All,
    Weighing the cases or a sample of them will allow you to group the similar ones together. I have done quite a bit of this so will share my findings tomorrow.
    GPM.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

You might find this quite helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCS4fXFmCyA
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Bought a weighed lot off Gun works ADI yes had to remove crimp primer pockets. Not a maximuim type of reloader I find a node back a bit that gives the accuracy I'm after. Loaded that brass heaps of times and it's been awesome. Don't get carried away with pressures and verlosity.
    Micky Duck and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Someone who has reloaded the Belmont ADI brass can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume the Belmont Black brass shouldn't need any removal of old primer pocket crimps. I'm assuming Belmont would have already had to do that in-house to prime and reload the once fired brass? Someone on here will know the answer though...

Quote Originally Posted by joelhenton View Post
    Someone who has reloaded the Belmont ADI brass can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume the Belmont Black brass shouldn't need any removal of old primer pocket crimps. I'm assuming Belmont would have already had to do that in-house to prime and reload the once fired brass? Someone on here will know the answer though...
    The small amount of adi I've reloaded about 300 all had crimped primers was made for hunting and fishing by Belmont
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Solve any grief by sizing thru a small base die but anneal all your brass before hand. My 2C.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Greetings All,
    Relentless scrounging has resulted in a large supply of once fired .223 brass. Weighing the brass I found most of it fell into two groups one averaging 94 grains and the other 97 grains. This includes the fired primer. WCC and LC military brass also fell into these two groups. FC brass was a lot lighter at 89 grains and continental brass a lot heavier with Lapua, Norma and S&B at about 105 grains. My cases are sorted into batches with the same head stamp and those batches averaging 94 grains go in the T3 and the 97 grain ones go in the M700. The heavier cases will give significantly higher velocity and pressure so sorting is essential. Two loads are used. 55 grain projectiles with 25.5 grains of AR2206H and 69 grain SMK with 25 grains of AR2206H. These chronograph 3,150 and 2,960 respectively in the T3. Neither load is max but is a full case with mild compression. A switch to BM 8208 is being considered. A small sight adjustment is needed when switching loads in the T3. Cases are FL sized using CH dies and competition shell holders to give minimal shoulder bump and annealed every other firing. I have not found any need for a small base die in any of the 3 .223 rifles that I loaded for, even when using pick up military brass.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

As a matter of curiosity, why do you guys go to that level of effort to collect random brass when Lapua .223 brass is relatively cheap and very consistent/easy to reload with?

Genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    As a matter of curiosity, why do you guys go to that level of effort to collect random brass when Lapua .223 brass is relatively cheap and very consistent/easy to reload with?

Genuine question.
    I don't think there are any 223 Lapua brass new for sale anywhere at the moment.