Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 556/223 brass

Thanks @grandpamac for that info, that's very good of you to write that up.

Cheers Adam
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    As a matter of curiosity, why do you guys go to that level of effort to collect random brass when Lapua .223 brass is relatively cheap and very consistent/easy to reload with?

Genuine question.
    Greetings @Proudkiwi,
    A very fair question. I think it is just that I like doing it. My experience is that the military brass is excellent quality, at least as good as most of the US commercial brass. The Lapua brass, while excellent, is heavy and would have a grain or so less capacity than the US brass (and ADI from my limited measurements). Weather permitting I will do my first F class shoot on Saturday and have done a careful sight in at 200 metres so I can dial up to 300 yards on the day. Accuracy has been excellent, close to 0.5 MoA from a T3 Lite. The load is the 69 grain SMK ahead of 25 grains of AR2206H mentioned above. The case, LC83 picked up on the Roy's Hill range in the 1990's usually in neat piles so not as random as it could be. If I find F class to my liking a new or improved rifle may be in the future. I might need some Lapua cases for that. Those of us that grew up in the 1950's and 1960's will remember a very different NZ. Import restrictions meant much of the stuff we take for granted today simply was not available. We learnt quickly to make do with what we had, a habit that is hard to shake for most of us.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Mooseman and techno retard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings @Proudkiwi,
    A very fair question. I think it is just that I like doing it. My experience is that the military brass is excellent quality, at least as good as most of the US commercial brass. The Lapua brass, while excellent, is heavy and would have a grain or so less capacity than the US brass (and ADI from my limited measurements). Weather permitting I will do my first F class shoot on Saturday and have done a careful sight in at 200 metres so I can dial up to 300 yards on the day. Accuracy has been excellent, close to 0.5 MoA from a T3 Lite. The load is the 69 grain SMK ahead of 25 grains of AR2206H mentioned above. The case, LC83 picked up on the Roy's Hill range in the 1990's usually in neat piles so not as random as it could be. If I find F class to my liking a new or improved rifle may be in the future. I might need some Lapua cases for that. Those of us that grew up in the 1950's and 1960's will remember a very different NZ. Import restrictions meant much of the stuff we take for granted today simply was not available. We learnt quickly to make do with what we had, a habit that is hard to shake for most of us.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Absolutely fair enough. If it makes you happy, then that is the best reason going.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    As a matter of curiosity, why do you guys go to that level of effort to collect random brass when Lapua .223 brass is relatively cheap and very consistent/easy to reload with?

Genuine question.
    For me I use the collected stuff for culling etc so when you loose the brass it's not a biggy have new brass for precision shooting.
    Micky Duck likes this.

dead right there Country Cuts...... it doesnt hurt to leave it on the hillside if it cost you buggerall to begin with....
    75/15/10 black powder matters