Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 85 g Barnes tsx. Have I stuffed up

85 g Barnes tsx. Have I stuffed up

I have just received my 243 dies thanks to another forum member, so was keen to try some loads.
    Grabbed a sample pack of Barnes tsx in 85gn on my home from work, consulted the ADI guide book, and loaded up a dozen from start to max using AR2206h, as I already had powder.
    The guide book gives a start load of 35gn working up to 38 with that powder and an 85 grain pill, so that is what I went with.
    Test fired the start load and all good out of the little Rossi. No pressure signs etc and fairly accurate. Darkness fell, so I didn't get to fire any more.

Then, while doing my online bits, I checked out the ADI website. This is where it gets interesting (for me)

The website suggests the following load data specific to the Barnes tsx

Start at 32.6 and max at 34.7.
    So now I have these loads made up that appear to be above max for the projectile, even at the start level.
    Do I pull them and start over (safest option??) or do I trust the adi guide book?
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

northdude
    I'm no expert but if it was me I'd say you'd be safe with the minim loads how many grain increments did you go up in

I went up in half grains from 35 to 38
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Should be fine.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 467
Size:  53.4 KB

My only concern would be the low fill % of the case, I would go 2208 or even 2209 (as 2209 is an almost full case)

Ejected
    If there are no pressure signs then you don't have a problem.

Thanks Timmay. I wont pretend to understand half of those numbers, but it does say 38 gn is below max pressure as far as I can tell, so I will give it a go.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    If there are no pressure signs then you don't have a problem.
    That was my line of thinking, but I have only fired the start loads, which are actually over the stated max on adi site, so a bit concerned
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

The fill rate is important as it stops the powder sloshing around in the case. 2209 will give u 99% fill rate for the same FPS so in theory it will be more constant.
    If 2206H works for you, use it.

its only a "give a choice" thing
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    That was my line of thinking, but I have only fired the start loads, which are actually over the stated max on adi site, so a bit concerned
    ADI has got far more conservative, these days, probably due to fear of litigation.
    Just check each load for Pressure signs.
    Let us know how they go on game, I'm a longtime fan of Hornady's 87 gn HPBT, but those Barnes have always tempted me to give them a try.
    tetawa, Pengy and keneff like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    The fill rate is important as it stops the powder sloshing around in the case. 2209 will give u 99% fill rate for the same FPS so in theory it will be more constant.
    If 2206H works for you, use it.

its only a "give a choice" thing
    Only using 2206 as I already had some
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

All the Barnes I've used go well over adi book max before showing any pressure signs.
    veitnamcam and Pengy like this.

Huk
    I use 40gn 06 with the 85s in a 16in 243 no pressure ,doing just over 3000fps plenty fast enough accurate also, as Brian said you can go well over adi max have done safely in all the reloads for my rifles cheers
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    All the Barnes I've used go well over adi book max before showing any pressure signs.
    That's because monolithic bullets don't behave like traditional projectiles. Make sure your still starting below book max and working up slow...

your rossi might just have long throat too which should give you a bit of lee way / help keep pressures down...mates rossi in .308 has very long throat/lead personally i would keep going with the loads you have made up untill you either get pressure signs or have a good tight group, then play around with that amount of powder,slight change in seating depth etc being a single shot you can really seat things long if wanted.
    the 85grn mono pill sounds like just the ticket for the EBRG...... smack a red in the shoulder and it should tip over nicely.
    Pengy likes this.

fire one or two rounds of each working up on .5's till your start getting pressure signs (that your happy shooting (safe) ) that's max for your rifle which could easily be over the book max
    but it could be under book max as well really depends on your rifle (I know a guy who settled on a load a full 6gn over book max which was safe as in his particular rifle)
    then load up group testing loads

I like doing it this way as be time I come to grouping each load I don't need to focus on anything but shooting as I have already worked out what is safe in my rifle
    a few more components but I like shooting so not worried me also gives your barrel a chance to break in a bit before group testing if your rifle is brand new

note: if your doing a smaller case like 223 etc you need to work in 0.3 or even 0.2 increments as small cases can get into pressure issues a lot quicker
    Last edited by rambo-6mmrem; 16-03-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    veitnamcam likes this.