Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Accuracy problem with new browning bar 7mm08

Where have all the guys that actually know what they are talking about gone???
    veitnamcam, Blaser, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Where have all the guys that actually know what they are talking about gone???
    To Waitangi.

Have seen and heard of three 708's now that don't like 140gn bullets. Everyone was shooting 120 rem factory loads really well but spat federal 140's about the same as you're getting. Admittedly they were bolt actions but were different brands of rifle. I would suggest trying them and seeing if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Tell that to my 45-70 pushing 350's at 1950fps bit more than your 308 no issues.
    Good for you. The scope in my Ruger scout couldn't hold zero. Swapped to cheap steel rings and no problems. Alloy one piece like talleys are good but not rings only. Had steel bases and alloy rings on my howa, same problem. Epoxied Talley one pieces on and no problem.
    Experience says alloy rings are no good for a 308.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Yeah YOUR experience which is subjective not proven as you have put it. However everyone will have varying views, steel is better but the alloys can be fine as well.
    lau lau and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Good for you. The scope in my Ruger scout couldn't hold zero. Swapped to cheap steel rings and no problems. Alloy one piece like talleys are good but not rings only. Had steel bases and alloy rings on my howa, same problem. Epoxied Talley one pieces on and no problem.
    Experience says alloy rings are no good for a 308.

You are using a sample size of two to base your statement on. Ridiculous!

I suppose that means the Nightforce Ultalights are not up to the recoil of a .308 either?

What your fuckin problem?

cheap and nasty is cheap and nasty, regardless of material!

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Check the basics, bases,mounts,scope. Then I would let the bore foul, then try shooting some groups they should hopefully tighten up.
    Once you have done this and the info bully and some others gave
    take a look at the crown, doesn't take much of a burr to muck with grouping
    25--30$ will generally fix a crown issue.
    mawzer308 likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Have never had a BAR that shot bad, is a 2" group with factory ammo really bad?
    yes.
    Hunt4life likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Firstly check all screws are firm,action to stock,bases to action, rings to bases, rings to scope as applicable.

If this is a brand new rifle I would not be happy with a best case senario of 2 inch groups at 100y and you are right to ask the question.

Secondly get somebody else who you know to have an accurate rifle in a similar caliber to shoot it, if it suddenly shoots inch groups or better you have found your problem.

Thirdly if it is still shit try(beg borrow ) another scope that is known to work well and try again.

If no change id be hitting up your retailer(actually id do that after getting a known good shooter to try it) Im not sure how you will get on there...do they have any kind of accuracy guarantee?

If no luck there then you are looking at

Can I live with the rifles accuracy or lack thereof ?

Possibly bedding and or load development to achieve better accuracy.

Spitting the dummy and tardmeing it.
    tetawa, mikee, Hunt4life and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

^^ This is good info.

The tension on the front sling screw that secures the forend is also critical on the BAR's, take it that this is the new "shortrac" model.

I have a couple of BAR's myself (a Mark II lightweight in 308 and a Shorttrac in 7mm WSM). Both of mine shoot very well (about 1 MOA or slightly less with loads they like - closer to 2" with loads they don't). I think the core point re making sure the scope is tight etc has been well covered but a few suggestions:

- make sure the stock bolt is tightly done up. This can affect accuracy quite badly if it is even slightly loose;

- not sure of your experience with crappy semi auto triggers. Although mine aren't that bad you need to put a lot more thought/effort into carefully taking aim and then following through with the trigger pull - it is not like breaking a 'mouse's thermometer' with a good crisp bolt action trigger;

- both of mine were fine, but I have heard of people having issues with BAR crowns;

- makesure you let the bolt run free into battery/close for the first shot (don't let it close slowly);

- hold the rifle firmly with both hands. Mine do not like bipods at all;

- try some more ammo combo's/different bullet weights etc.

I would actually be a little encouraged with 2" groups for factory ammo - I am sure with everything tight/the above checked and a few different bullet weights to try you will get close to an inch.

Be realistic - I know there are lots of people on google that report bolt action accuracy and 1/4" groups with their BAR's (!) - reality away from the keyboard is probably different. A few are possibly capable of close to this but most probably are not...

At the end of the day they are a semi auto designed for a purpose (quick follow up shots in side 250 - maybe 300 yards max). Even 2 inch groups are adequate for that purpose. My personal view is that if your hunting style regularly has you shooting over that range you may as well revert to bolt action - i.e. with careful/slow deliberate shots required to ensure regular hits at that range there is no or little benefit with a semi auto...
    veitnamcam, Blaser, tetawa and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbrad View Post
    As above. I have done my best to run the barrel in. Im upto 50 rounds and am unable to get grouping better than 2 inches at 100m. Weather the barrel is cleaned with copper solvent or just with hoppes no9...or both. I had the rifle in a sled even on a concrete bench. Im on my third box of ammo. PPU, winchester super x, and lastly sst hornady. The scope is new, although its abit cheap, but Ive had them in the past with no problems.
    Can anyone help a newby out a little?
    Can you show a group for the "experts" to diagnose.