Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ADI 4Kg Rifle Powders

ADI 4Kg Rifle Powders

Hi all,

I have been trying to source a 4Kg bottle of AR2209 (ADI Powders) to stop me having to rework up my powder charge so often! I have been told by Reloaders, Serious Shooters etc. that there is no 4Kg containers in the country and the importer isn't getting anymore. I have been told it's because the 4Kg container is a different hazard classification class therefore cost prohibitive to ship.

I work in explosive storage with the NZDF so have a good understanding of explosive regulations, classifications and transport requirements. From my understanding all ADI powders are UN0161, Class 1.3C regardless of quantity. Explosive category doesn't change with quantity, but only through adding or removing safety features (vented containers, fuse removed from warhead etc.) therefore I call BS on the importers reasoning of different classification. As far as transport and storage requirements are concerned, there is no difference in 4kg NEQ (Net Explosive Quantity) in 1x 4kg container or 8x 500g containers.

Does anyone have any more info or a 'real' reason why the importer cannot/will not get 4Kg containers into country? Just trying to work out the actual issue and an ETA of when i could expect 4kg in country again...

if you have an empty 4kg bottle I would be keen on it please I have some powder in shitty containers......
    Use enough gun

Probably more profitable to sell it in 500g bottles than bulk 4kg lots, I'd be betting that is a more likely reason.
    As far as re working your loads just buy more bottles from the same batch number if 4kg is no longer an option.
    To be honest I don't shoot enough to worry about buying 4kg at a time, but have never noticed any difference between batches of the same rated powder.
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    if you have an empty 4kg bottle I would be keen on it please I have some powder in shitty containers......
    Hey 40mm, sadly i don't have any empty 4kg bottle, but i can save empty 500g ones for you if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Probably more profitable to sell it in 500g bottles than bulk 4kg lots, I'd be betting that is a more likely reason.
    As far as re working your loads just buy more bottles from the same batch number if 4kg is no longer an option.
    To be honest I don't shoot enough to worry about buying 4kg at a time, but have never noticed any difference between batches of the same rated powder.
    Yeah thats more what i was thinking, they can make more and store more 'units' in the 500g bottle. It's just really frustrating as buy 8x500g is easily an extra $100 compared to 1x4Kg...
    Tussock and dannyb like this.

Only thing I can think of is the dangerous goods classification. Smaller packages can be dglq, dangerous goods in limited quantities. Increasing the amount in each package can push it into an actual dangerous goods category and resulting costs and regulations.

Or maybe dac rules, dangerous air cargo.

I would go with option 1
    Get to charge you more per 500 gram.

Pretty sure it comes into the country via 20ft DG boxes not by air. But stand to be corrected.

My advice id to wait awhile...... it may just be there are no 4kg available at present untill the next shipment come in.
    dannyb likes this.

Never had to "rework" a load between batches of ADI powder. If you are really that concerned about it then buy several smaller containers and mix it all together. Job done
    BRADS, Tommy and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Surely next time the Boeing goes to Aussie , hitch a lift and buy some over there and stick it in the Packup . And you get a bonus day or so on the Piss .

What the other shops are telling you is what the importer is telling the shops.
    Shipping powder around is painful . You should see the bs that Steves has to go though to get powder into the south island. Not allowed to put it onto the ferries so has to charter a large fishing boat to transport it.

I checked with Steve today,
    Its a maybe Robert.. next shipment July ish but not sure if the 4kg bottles have passed the test to come as 1.4c, if not they may stay behind as it will cost $10,000 to add any 1.3c to the shipment plus huge delays getting a ship.
    Steve
    Best Regards,

Steve Collings

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    I checked with Steve today,
    Its a maybe Robert.. next shipment July ish but not sure if the 4kg bottles have passed the test to come as 1.4c, if not they may stay behind as it will cost $10,000 to add any 1.3c to the shipment plus huge delays getting a ship.
    Steve
    Best Regards,

Steve Collings
    Oh okay! That makes sense if 1.3C is the issue and they’d are trying for reduction to 1.4C then I totally get it. I thought everything ADI was being transported as 1.3C so didn’t get how a bigger container was an issue. July-ish sounds good! Hopefully they get the 4Kgs sorted and in the container.

It must be the new shipping company that is stuffing around because Steve has 4kg in 2206h and 2208

Quote Originally Posted by Oli1102 View Post
    Oh okay! That makes sense if 1.3C is the issue and they’d are trying for reduction to 1.4C then I totally get it. I thought everything ADI was being transported as 1.3C so didn’t get how a bigger container was an issue. July-ish sounds good! Hopefully they get the 4Kgs sorted and in the container.
    None of that makes any sense , in order to change the classification to 1.4 they are playing around with the NEQ . To reduce the amount and make it more profitable , it would make sense to bring in smaller sized 500 gm bottles .
    You should know the difference between 1.3 & 1.4 or are you not one of F.I.F.A / E.S.I.S .

NEQ would make no difference to classification. Packing and safety measures would. Such a rocket flares are 1.3G but become 1.4G if stored in a vented cage (contains the rocket, but allows pressure to escape). Likewise, detonators that are 1.1B become 1.4S when stored in a concrete filled container (allowing transport with PE4 1.1D).

So IATA or the sea transport equivalent may list some packaging requirements that can bring smokeless powder down to 1.4C using another UN number.
    Last edited by Oli1102; 03-03-2019 at 10:14 AM.