Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 2 Post By Beavis
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 1 Post By northdude

Thread: die problem?

northdude

die problem?

the last couple of attempts at reloading for the 6.5 ive run into a problem what happens is i notice that the case neck has pulled crooked the unscrew the die and find the decapping rod is bent its a hornady custom die im on my second rod now and looking at buying a lee die ive loaded at least 400 rounds befor this started happening i only got 4 cases through the die before it did this

decapping rod set to far down, bottoming out on the case and bending. try setting it so its only just pushing out the old primer
    P38, 7mmsaum, veitnamcam and 2 others like this.

R93
    Bite the bullet and buy a die like say a redding, and decap without a button.

If the neck is undented and brass is only fired in your rifle you will never have a problem like that, again.
    I have not used a button other than to fix dented necks for as long as I can remember.
    Don't have runout and have consitant neck tension that leads to accurate no fuss ammo.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ditto the above. Redding full length die with button removed is the tits. I've had good luck with Lee FL dies too even with the decapping mandrel. Hornady dies IMO are anything but "custom grade". I'd go as far to say their full length dies are pieces of shit. I own three.
    kiwijames and BRADS like this.

Or decap separately. Then clean, then size, ...
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

northdude
    after reading replies its got me thinking could it be my brass im still using the same cases and they have had easily 5-6+ reloads could it be getting a bit hard and as im running cases through the die its dragging the decapping rod down a tiny bit every time untill its enough to bend it if so does anyone on here anneal brass

If you don't lube the inside of the neck with graphite or imperial wax then that could be happening.
    carlhurley likes this.

northdude
    Yep lubing the same as I always have

northdude
    got some lee rgb dies ran the cases through them didnt get any problems
    R93 likes this.