Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: "Extreme Velocity Spread"!

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Try a different slower powder, say ADI 2213 or 2217.
    If it is, as some are saying, and there's not really a velocity spread but merely just a malfunction of the Chrony due to proximity of the muzzle, then a different powder will probably not make a difference! I may try a slightly lesser neck tension (I only went that tight because of the short neck on the .300 Win Mag and I didn't want it to shorten the rounds in the magazine under recoil) and I may try a different powder for a tighter grouping, maybe!

Thanks.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I'd still work on your grouping as it's very important, this could mean a powder variation or other things.
    Consistancy is paramount.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I'd still work on your grouping as it's very important, this could mean a powder variation or other things.
    Consistancy is paramount.
    I've tried two different types of powder so far (IMR 4350 & RL 22) and six different bullet types, all "averaging" around the 1 - 1/2" mark!

Remington cough cough
    veitnamcam likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Rl22 and a 208 Amax works well for me

In a tikka😆
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    I've tried two different types of powder so far (IMR 4350 & RL 22) and six different bullet types, all "averaging" around the 1 - 1/2" mark!
    Ring steveo54 and tell him you need to trade for a tikka. They all shoot 1/4 moa from the box. He will love it

A more helpful comment however. I wouldnt pay too much attention to the chrony just yet. Have you tried a lighter neck tension with any of the other projectiles? Were the others different profiles/weights? Barrel might not like the current weight range

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    Ring steveo54 and tell him you need to trade for a tikka. They all shoot 1/4 moa from the box. He will love it
    And that's an inaccurate one!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

if it was me i would leave everything where it is and have a play with seating depth
    Shearer likes this.

On a serious note,yes distance from crony and I tried to make my 7mm rem like 2225 and was at the stage that I thought the rifle was fxxxxd.
    I then tried three different powders and they all shot 3/4moa and under(2209/2217/and some thing else)
    In the end I settled on the 2217 for velocity and es.
    Also seating depth can also change what also looks like an average load to yea baby yea!(deeper I mean)
    With reloading I have found out the more you know the less you know.
    Another bit of crucial advice get your LNL concentricty gauge and chuck it in the river before it gives you even more sleepiness nights!
    When you feel you need to sleep less just watch Shaun car locks reloading video and that's better than a cup of strong coffee!
    Sleep tight
    sniper80 and kiwijames like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Shoot it at 600+ and check if your groups are vertical stringing. That should tell you if your chrony isn't right
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    On a serious note,yes distance from crony and I tried to make my 7mm rem like 2225 and was at the stage that I thought the rifle was fxxxxd.
    I then tried three different powders and they all shot 3/4moa and under(2209/2217/and some thing else)
    In the end I settled on the 2217 for velocity and es.
    Also seating depth can also change what also looks like an average load to yea baby yea!(deeper I mean)
    With reloading I have found out the more you know the less you know.
    Another bit of crucial advice get your LNL concentricty gauge and chuck it in the river before it gives you even more sleepiness nights!
    When you feel you need to sleep less just watch Shaun car locks reloading video and that's better than a cup of strong coffee!
    Sleep tight
    Interesting to hear about your powder experience and 'projectile seating depth'! I know a guy who owns a Tikka in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, in fact, I know two different guys with exactly the same rifles and calibre!

Anyway, the first guy is shooting Hornady SST's and he's getting five shot groups consistently at about 3/4" (well under an inch anyway at 100m) and he's got his bullets seated around .040" off of the lands! (He's actually showed me the targets for proof, so this ain't no "Hunter's Fanciful Estimates"!)

The other guy, well he's getting his usual 6" (That's right, "SIX INCH") at 100m, however, his barrel is rust pitted to buggery and he's not much of a shot to begin with!

Anyway, how did you know I had a LNL Concentricity Guage? I fully agree with you, I've only recently purchased it (around three months ago). I bought it because I thought it'd straighten my bananas, however, I agree, the thing's a piece of shit! It will say that there's practically NO runout when my Sinclair gauge says there's 6 or 7 thou or more and I'd believe my Sinclair gauge when it comes down to it!

Right, back to load development, I might have to quickly settle on a load (Accurate or otherwise) least I turn my .30 Cal into a .40 Calibre!

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Rl22 and a 208 Amax works well for me
    What's an Amax like as a hunting bullet? Also, my rifle has 1 in 11.25" twist and may not suit a heavier bullet such as a 208!

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    if it was me i would leave everything where it is and have a play with seating depth
    If I were to concentrate on bullet seating depth, what would you recommend? Example if I'm just touch now should I move to say .040" off the lands or what, what would you do?

I mean there's that many variables! There's powder types, bullets, bullet seating depth, neck tension etc, the variables are infinite! Indeed, Tracey Short once commented that, sometimes by the time he's managed to worked up a load that actually "shoots" in his rifle, he's worn out the barrel and it's time to buy a new one and start over!