Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By Gibo

Thread: Hornady 139gr Whitetail ammo in 7m mag doesnt exit.

Hornady 139gr Whitetail ammo in 7m mag doesnt exit.

I was interested to see that the stag i guided my mate into today to shoot his first my mate used the Hornady 139gr whitetail ammo in his 7m mag (3150fps) He shot the stag from maybe ten feet in the back of the neck and it went straight down. The projectile didnt exit, and damage wasnt huge. We found the round well mushroomed against the skin on the other side . I found that quite surprising....any thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    I was interested to see that the stag i guided my mate into today to shoot his first my mate used the Hornady 139gr whitetail ammo in his 7m mag (3150fps) He shot the stag from maybe ten feet in the back of the neck and it went straight down. The projectile didnt exit, and damage wasnt huge. We found the round well mushroomed against the skin on the other side . I found that quite surprising....any thoughts
    Not surprising given the range, velocity & what it hit, extreme conditions for a projectile, if it was an Amax it would have been very messy....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Not surprising given the range, velocity & what it hit, extreme conditions for a projectile, if it was an Amax it would have been very messy....
    Cheers, just thought as it didnt appear to hit much bone at all the short distance to exit for a 7m mag it would or make some more mess, ..but there you go...what i know

I shot a tahr not long ago about 20 metres away with that bullet in the neck, straight through bone and everything, exited never to be seen again.

Side note, if your mate keeps his 7RM hornady brass and doesnt want it i'll buy it
    deer243 likes this.

Gibo, hes got some boxes of empty hornady brass...just a case of does he want to get rid of them as he was thinking about getting some reloads done himself. I see what i can do

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Gibo, hes got some boxes of empty hornady brass...just a case of does he want to get rid of them as he was thinking about getting some reloads done himself. I see what i can do
    Yeah all good mate. I just know lots gets biffed and its a shame

Pm with a offer, i see he has 80 he prob part with, bout 150 7m 08 brass as well but not sure if the 7m 08 are hornady, cheers