Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 6 Post By Jhon
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By -BW-
  • 2 Post By Jhon
  • 1 Post By flock

Thread: Old Powder

Old Powder

Loaded 5 test rounds 223 with a old unknown batch of benchmark 2, noticed black discolouration of some of the kernels. first 2 shots didn't group, so put couple threw the chrono.
    Said to the guys at the range ---I like to see how good my calculations are Gordons Reloading, usually within 30fps. Rude shock, I said 2800 reality was 2475 next 2435. Lucky not much of that pottle left, so its on the garden. Got a full batch so more to test, risky buying deceased estate powders.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Loaded 5 test rounds 223 with a old unknown batch of benchmark 2, noticed black discolouration of some of the kernels. first 2 shots didn't group, so put couple threw the chrono.
    Said to the guys at the range ---I like to see how good my calculations are Gordons Reloading, usually within 30fps. Rude shock, I said 2800 reality was 2475 next 2435. Lucky not much of that pottle left, so its on the garden. Got a full batch so more to test, risky buying deceased estate powders.
    It went bang, whats the problem lol

Seriously, any old powder or any opened part used powder you buy, sniff it first, eyeball it second - tip it onto a clean white surface and check for clumps(moisture), DISCOLOURATION (moisture, contaminated, decomposing), inconsistent kernels present ( two powders mixed), etc.

If it smells/looks dodgy it is dodgy
    If it smells sweet and looks clean and consistent, is flowing nicely its probably worth a go, carefully. I use a lot of old, some very old powders. Plus I've bought plenty of part cans of recent powders. Not had an issue yet that caused me to dump the powder. Different story when it comes to powder from pulled cases.

In short - If in doubt, throw it out..or send it my way
    BSA, Micky Duck, flock and 3 others like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Or rifle blows up cause it's not what it's said to be.....
    zimmer, Jhon, csmiffy and 1 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I took a chance on buying over 2kg of 2208 at a good price that was probably over 20yrs old, if not more. Turned out it its still good. Sometimes you get lucky.
    Micky Duck, Jhon and blip like this.

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    I took a chance on buying over 2kg of 2208 at a good price that was probably over 20yrs old, if not more. Turned out it its still good. Sometimes you get lucky.
    Same, great powder, off the forum too, ADI MULWEX 2208. Runs a couple of calibres for me.
    Micky Duck and blip like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

kg of BM2 is good but still down on the speeds I expected, although possibly several other reasons for that, so it's standard process, will increase powder in increments, testing pressures until it shoots, then fine tune seating.
    Jhon likes this.

I'm using H4831 out of a square 2L container
    Those in the know will recognize what I'm using in my 6.5x68
    The powder is old no discoloring and still putting 140gn pills out at 3100fps
    If you have a powder problem it could be a storage problem or a bad batch