Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Projectile performance

I find it immoral to shoot a deer with only the amount of meat recovery in mind, rather than the quick and humane expiry of it first and foremost even if that means losing some meat from a shoulder shot . . . .

That's what I believe.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 23-01-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Quoted as per @Moa Hunter .....
    If we consider that the non hunting members of society have as much right and ownership to/of game animals as hunters do, we are privileged
    to be allowed to take their share and give nothing back. Doing our best to shoot cleanly and recover as much meat as possible and giving away as much of that as we can is a way of giving back.

FFS what a load of shite.....non hunter right of ownership....taking their share....giving back to who? Non hunters??.....blah blah blah

Right then all you fisherman out there, as a non fisherman I demand that you all drop off to my house half of your catch from over the weekend and do so every weekend hereafter since it's my right of ownership ����
    257weatherby and Allizdog like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    I find it immoral to shoot a deer with only the amount of meat recovery in mind, rather than the quick and humane expiry of it first and foremost even if that means losing some meat from a shoulder shot . . . .

That's what I believe.
    I agree with you on the 'quick and humane death', but is a shoulder shot actually a quick death or quicker death ? Just because it will generally drop the animal on the spot because of a 'spinal concussion' does that mean a more immediate death than any other lethal shot where the animal dies of blood loss ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by #the creeper View Post
    Quoted as per @Moa Hunter .....
    If we consider that the non hunting members of society have as much right and ownership to/of game animals as hunters do, we are privileged
    to be allowed to take their share and give nothing back. Doing our best to shoot cleanly and recover as much meat as possible and giving away as much of that as we can is a way of giving back.

FFS what a load of shite.....non hunter right of ownership....taking their share....giving back to who? Non hunters??.....blah blah blah

Right then all you fisherman out there, as a non fisherman I demand that you all drop off to my house half of your catch from over the weekend and do so every weekend hereafter since it's my right of ownership ����
    Many hunters sour of killing and stop hunting, why is that ? Perhaps it is because they no longer get satisfaction from killing alone and dont have a purpose in killing ? Giving away meat does offer a purpose and deeper satisfaction for a hunter. If you ( or any of the six persons who identify as creeper ) are in need, I will bring you some meat, but no trout this weekend.
    A Sand Country Almanac .....
    Sideshow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Many hunters sour of killing and stop hunting, why is that ? Perhaps it is because they no longer get satisfaction from killing alone and dont have a purpose in killing ? Giving away meat does offer a purpose and deeper satisfaction for a hunter. If you ( or any of the six persons who identify as creeper ) are in need, I will bring you some meat, but no trout this weekend.
    A Sand Country Almanac .....
    Nah all good here for meat MH thanks anyway.

I agree with you on the 'quick and humane death', but is a shoulder shot actually a quick death or quicker death ? Just because it will generally drop the animal on the spot because of a 'spinal concussion' does that mean a more immediate death than any other lethal shot where the animal dies of blood loss ?
    Earlier you said we should utilize every part of the deer. Other than head shooting a deer, this is pretty much impossible regardless of what projectile you use. So would you rather the risk of blowing a deers jaw off with a smaller margin of era head shot., all for the sake of saving a few more grams of meat rather than the hilar shot that might cause you some extra meat loss because of the projectile we choose to use but puts the animal down?
    Last edited by Allizdog; 23-01-2022 at 06:45 PM.

one thing is for sure and for certain.......if you take out them front wheels....animal isnt going far if indeed anywhere...so chances of recovery is very high.....I very seldome take the neck shot after seeing a couple of not so ideal outcomes,but if Im close enough and animal is settled it is on the cards...now headshots...well can count on one hand how often I have headshot a deer,very similar number to how many Ive shot over 350yards....and the only one I can actually remember was done as red yearling was under 150 yards,I was sitting with mighty .223 across my knees and deer had my son with .308 on one side of me 40 yards away(who had just shoulder shot one deer) and mate with another .308 on the other side of me 75 yards away , both ready to finish off animal if my shot wasnt spot on...no fear of that when I have time the .223 is deadly accurate.it was almost a race to squeze off....well I knew I hadnt much time before one of them two did the deed so took shot offered sucessfully.
    that was two of the three deer we harvested that evening ,needless to say my knives were busy for a long time that evening,steak in one pile and everything else into mince......no wastage when deer is shot within 75 yards of truck.

as for how quick is death from shoulder shot placed correctly with "enough gun" well I am yet to see deer stand for longer than 20 seconds,most is under 5 and none are still breathing as breathing apparatus are goneburgers pretty much instantly,no blood supply to brain means death is matter of seconds.
    my conscious is clear,I sleep well at night.
    Allizdog, 7mm Rem Mag and BSA270 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    Earlier you said we should utilize every part of the deer. Other than head shooting a deer, this is pretty much impossible regardless of what projectile you use. So would you rather the risk of blowing a deers jaw off with a smaller margin of era head shot., all for the sake of saving a few more grams of meat rather than the hilar shot that might cause you some extra meat loss because of the projectile we choose to use but puts the animal down?
    Yes I wrote that I believe we should utilise every part, and to follow my own conscience and belief on this I recover the animals whole most times. The bones feed dogs. With a head shot I aim for the ear hole or the back of the head, neither results in a blown jaw. Only a centre head aim point does that. The base of the neck is a good shot but does ruin a chunk of tasty neck chops, so a centre lung shot is the best compromise imo.
    To me a shoulder shot means high shoulder. To me a hilar shot is forward of the shoulder and lower
    Of course mistakes will be made, where the animal did not appear to be at an angle and the bullet ends up damaging a leg for example, but this is totally different to intentionally shooting through the shoulder blades with no intention of keeping that meat.
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 23-01-2022 at 07:41 PM.
    BSA270 likes this.

oh good...I DO NOT intentionally do high shoulder shot...always third to half way up in line with foreleg....as per what books said to do 40 years ago...if it works,and it does,I see no need to change it.

Got to be pretty bloody close to the truck for me to worry about shoulder meat…..farm shooting maybe with an easy carry. DOC land in the middle of nowhere I take back legs, back steaks and sometimes eye fillets. There are so many deer around your time would be better serves shooting another one for the sake of the environment.
    Nathan F likes this.

Save for a humane kill you simply can not talk in absolutes about hunting ethics. Hunting ethics are contextual. There is always a legitimate counter veiling view.

For me, bullets are designed to kill. A good one should assist with a humane kill. Plenty of organ damage and trauma allow for a margin of error. I will biff a bit of meat or leave it behind for that.
    Last edited by Tahr; 24-01-2022 at 01:03 PM.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    I use 0.80mm on 7mm and 30 cal.
    @wsm junkie thanks for the heads up good info to pass on
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.