Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Projectile performance

I'd just be quite curious here.

So that's based on a Berger. How does a SMK compare regarding the size of the hollow point ?

I've heard of a few people getting erratic performance with them

and also heard of people opening tips of them with needle file......

by same token I have in my collection of recovered projectiles 1 50 grn and 1 52grn speer HP varmit projectiles that look almost identical,both failed to expand at all and appear to have tumbled inside animal instead,the 52 grn was actually inside heart of red stag shot at 200ish yards from across gully from higher elevation. now BOTH of those projectiles are super soft,and both NORMALLY super reliable for expansion etc. just goes to show funky things happen to everything sooner or later.

https://mssblog.com/tag/zediker-publishing/page/2/

There might be a word of wisdom what Bryn Blythen has already said. Awaiting the 95gr Targex. Want to compare the pinhole. LOL. I have the Tamiya pin vise but now hesitant on whether it is a wasted exercise.

My 95gr Targex arrived. The tip cavity/channel I roughly guaged was a tight fit with 1.1mm drill and looser with 1.2. The issue seems to be that the cavity[for such pills]needs to be sufficently open to allow maximum expansion on impact. I also have 87gr BERGER VLD. If there is a cavity it is minute. So with Tamiya pin vise and 6 different size drills finally got to .9mm to create a cavity bearing any resemblance [ take that with caution]to the Targex cavity. It is a nice projectile the Targex.Advertising for the man fron Matakohe. So far have done 7 Berger enlarged projectiles. Will load both and see the results. Reluctant to load any current Berger without some modification because the comments on the Forum have noted some horror stories of lack of performance. Enquired about a Hoover Meplat Trimmer but seems they are currently in short supply. The reason being the Targex is an attractive pill finish wise. Quality from BB. A new venture is occurring. LOL.

Ive shot hundreds of wallaby and deer with Targex .223 and .243 and never had a fail. All ranges and all conditions. I would back them out of the pkt 100%
    Ive lost a few and wounded some, but it can always be traced back to driver error or poor judgement.

Shot quite a few with Bergers too - 7-08 and 270wsm and they have always worked fine.

Others' experience might be different to me.

Here is a 150 Berger .270wsm in and out at 180 yards. Didn't move a muscle.

In (just a pin hole)
    Name:  IMG_6027.jpeg
Views: 387
Size:  6.30 MB

Out
    Name:  IMG_6028.jpeg
Views: 383
Size:  6.39 MB

Different story under the skin though...

In
    Name:  IMG_6032.jpeg
Views: 368
Size:  4.18 MB

Out
    Name:  IMG_6033.jpeg
Views: 351
Size:  4.15 MB

For me, this is typical using Bergers.

targex
    Good to hear they arrived ok & that they look ok
    Hopefully they shoot ok!
    Another thing to be aware of which I am sure you are is if the meplats are trimmed the bullet weights will have to be watched very carefully. Won't matter for closer shooting but as you get further out any bullet weight difference variance will be noticed.
    Will also alter the BC on whatever bullet is being used.
    Good luck!
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

Going trout fishing. Spent hours last night drilling the Bergers. Blood blisters on my index finger. Still not finished. Busted a few tips [4] in projectiles.The comparison [cavity wise]between Targex and Berger is like night and day. My son can have the Bergers. I will keep the Targex. Probably run both for the autumn deer which should be fat considering the grass growth locally. Variety is the spice of reloading. If you are not open to new ideas you will stagnate. Cheers to all.
    Tahr, veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Tahr those fotos are brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Going trout fishing. Spent hours last night drilling the Bergers. Blood blisters on my index finger. Still not finished. Busted a few tips [4] in projectiles.The comparison [cavity wise]between Targex and Berger is like night and day. My son can have the Bergers. I will keep the Targex. Probably run both for the autumn deer which should be fat considering the grass growth locally. Variety is the spice of reloading. If you are not open to new ideas you will stagnate. Cheers to all.
    Yes

yep that looks like what my 87 gr bergers did in goats, fallow and meat reds. very messy, Ant nothing away from that kind of trauma
    Z.

Fallow shot by son at 250 mtr
    Name:  WP_20160710_09_15_13_Pro__highres.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  7.72 MB

Goat
    Name:  WP_20151108_19_57_02_Pro__highres.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  5.08 MB
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 13-01-2022 at 08:43 PM.
    Tikka7mm08 and Micky Duck like this.

Loaded 100 95gr Targex and 100 87gr Berger. All the comments about suspect Berger performance [not expanding/opening up] made me nervous. My son has taken the Targex. The fotos posted of the Bergers in various calibres are unmodified? The Bergers with needle bits in their cavities [4] will be used as test rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Loaded 100 95gr Targex and 100 87gr Berger. All the comments about suspect Berger performance [not expanding/opening up] made me nervous. My son has taken the Targex. The fotos posted of the Bergers in various calibres are unmodified? The Bergers with needle bits in their cavities [4] will be used as test rounds.
    I don't touch the Brergers.