Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 4 Post By Plinky
  • 1 Post By Pommy
  • 3 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By STC
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 2 Post By STC
  • 2 Post By Oldbloke
  • 3 Post By Happy Jack
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack

Thread: Question for Gordon's users

Question for Gordon's users

Playing around with some load data today in GRT and this has me a bit stumped.

When inputting barrel length do you include the suppressor or not as this can add quite a few inches.

Surprised to see it was telling my pet load for 22-250 was over pressure when it clearly isn't as have others tell they were loading way hotter loads.

Not worried about pressures just want to know about the barrel length question.
    Happy Jack.

I always exclude in Gordon’s or quickload as my thought is as soon as the projectile leaves the muzzle the expanding gases pushing it instead start to expand in the suppressor.
    -BW-, Happy Jack, Cam86NZ and 1 others like this.

Makes sense
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Playing around with some load data today in GRT and this has me a bit stumped.

When inputting barrel length do you include the suppressor or not as this can add quite a few inches.

Surprised to see it was telling my pet load for 22-250 was over pressure when it clearly isn't as have others tell they were loading way hotter loads.

Not worried about pressures just want to know about the barrel length question.
    I found the same thing with my load for 300 BLk. It said I was way over pressure for a load that wasn't even minimum in the books.

Don't include muzzle devices. Use a cleaning rod down the barrel to measure bolt face to crown.

Then calibrate using the OBT tool and it will give you a more accurate estimation of what the pressure of the load is.

... You could well be over-pressure and the others you mention are wringing the piss out of their rifles even more.
    Cam86NZ likes this.

Do step over the mark, usually check ADI info as well, GTR can be quite conservative, build up slow checking all the way. Also speeds in ADI are for a 24inch barrel, barrel lenght can increase pressure, plus twist rates are of standard.

gordons is ok but i prefer bombay sapphire
    kiwijames, Muttonguts and makka like this.

STC
    muzzle devices are not regarded for barrel length.

So GRT tells you you are over pressure... correct projectile, correct seating depth and correct powder?

How did you measure the pressure that you believe GRT calculated wrong?
    Cam86NZ likes this.

No pressure signs and well under book max load by 0.5g according to ADI and 1.0g according to Sierra, hence why I want to check all the parameters are correct.

No flattened primers, no split necks, no bulges observed after firing around 50 rounds, this was the middle of the load ladder and gave the best results for accuracy. Have had the load looked at by someone with more experience than me as well.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Happy Jack.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    No pressure signs and well under book max load by 0.5g according to ADI and 1.0g according to Sierra, hence why I want to check all the parameters are correct.

No flattened primers, no split necks, no bulges observed after firing around 50 rounds, this was the middle of the load ladder and gave the best results for accuracy. Have had the load looked at by someone with more experience than me as well.
    exactly. you do not know the actual pressure.

pressure signs and all the other stuff is not a measurement. its merely an indication that you are wayy over pressure IF it happens.

If a grt calculation gives me an accurate prediction of velocity (i.e. velocities line up with actual measurements) I regard the pressure values as correct as well.

Thoughts and ideas of "experienced" people I tend to ignore. Many of these people are lucky firearms are designed with a high factor of safety and tend to not blow up in their faces when they chase the last fps and only rely on the visual appearance of a piece of brass as an indication of pressure...
    Cam86NZ and Muttonguts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    exactly. you do not know the actual pressure.

pressure signs and all the other stuff is not a measurement. its merely an indication that you are wayy over pressure IF it happens.

If a grt calculation gives me an accurate prediction of velocity (i.e. velocities line up with actual measurements) I regard the pressure values as correct as well.

Thoughts and ideas of "experienced" people I tend to ignore. Many of these people are lucky firearms are designed with a high factor of safety and tend to not blow up in their faces when they chase the last fps and only rely on the visual appearance of a piece of brass as an indication of pressure...

Yep, you see it all the time. They want to get the last 5 fps out of a hornet. Rooting around with various loads, burning up components and the barrel.
    Should have bought a 223. Doh!
    Micky Duck and STC like this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

I have never been one to chase the last few FPS I am much too conservative for that. Thanks for the input everyone.
    Micky Duck, Oldbloke and STC like this.
    Happy Jack.

With everything now measured up properly Gordons is saying I'm just under pressure with my loads, happy chappy here.

Just need to chrono my other rifle now when I get chance.
    STC likes this.
    Happy Jack.