Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 6.5 Grendel,, any users out there.

  1. #1
    Member viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Rabbitvegas
    Posts
    1,290

    6.5 Grendel,, any users out there.

    I have the opportunity to hunt a farm and knock over Fallow / Pigs .
    I was going to look at a 223 but noticed the new Howa model offer the rifle in the Grendel. Looks pretty cool, 223 recoil with 308 hitting power and 6.5 penetration.
    However I was wondering other than the converts on YouTube are there any forum members using them ??

    Any impressions, opinions, experience all game at at what ranges would be keen to know of.

  2. #2
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    2,436
    I think @rambo-6mmrem bought a Howa 6.5 Grendal. Latest R&R mag did a basic write up on it in the latest issue. Most criticized item is the mag on the Howa.
    I'm just mucking around with one now, a Sako Vixen converted run the Grendel, but still got some assembly work etc to do before I can report any actual first hand stuff. Plenty of American hype on the net. Kiwi Greg's just got an AR punching single hole groups.
    Last edited by Mathias; 24-08-2017 at 04:41 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    184
    I want one, im not a fan of recoil and it seems it will do everything I want with not much recoil. BUT... No one makes a leftie boltgun in 6.5 Grendel and Im too poor for a custom jobbie.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Carterton, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,183
    From what I've read on other threads, by other forum members, subsonic 308's might be a goer.
    Not much bang, plenty of killing power and reduced recoil.
    Only suggesting because I've got a couple, with dies, bullets, powder, etc., and could be looking at swapping the Parker Hale barrel out, or the whole rifle, for something in 6.5 x 55 Swede or x 57 Mauser.
    For some punch at longer distances - 6.5/06.
    However - it'll have to wait a bit - see if I've overcome my flinch. Taught to me by ill fitting No 4 Mk 1* stocks, as a spindly 14 year old.

  5. #5
    Member viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Rabbitvegas
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Guypie View Post
    I want one, im not a fan of recoil and it seems it will do everything I want with not much recoil. BUT... No one makes a leftie boltgun in 6.5 Grendel and Im too poor for a custom jobbie.
    I am a leftie to Guypie but have never owned a left handed rifle , no problem using a right handed rifle, you adapt quickly
    tetawa and northdude like this.

  6. #6
    Terminator Products Kiwi Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,487
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyR View Post
    From what I've read on other threads, by other forum members, subsonic 308's might be a goer.
    Not much bang, piss all killing power unless you use specialised (expensive) bullets with massive drop in trajectory and reduced recoil.
    Fixed it for you

  7. #7
    Terminator Products Kiwi Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,487
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I have the opportunity to hunt a farm and knock over Fallow / Pigs .
    I was going to look at a 223 but noticed the new Howa model offer the rifle in the Grendel. Looks pretty cool, 223 recoil with 308 hitting power and 6.5 penetration.
    However I was wondering other than the converts on YouTube are there any forum members using them ??

    Any impressions, opinions, experience all game at at what ranges would be keen to know of.
    That's a sound idea, miles more grunt than a 223, the difference between a 223 & 6.8 SCP upper on game has to be seen to be believed, the Grendel is even better

    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...92/#post629789

  8. #8
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,889
    @kiwigreg what would a basic hunting Ar15 A Cat sort of thing in 6.5 Grendel cost? Nothing flash, nothing heavy, nothing too long, nothing too expensive

    Ta

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,350
    I remember Norway making a comment about the Grendel of the following sort: if you can shoot something with more punch than the Grendel , go for it preferably. These are not his exact words but his idea if I remember well after testing the cartridge on roe deer.

  10. #10
    Member Timmay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    2,411
    I've romanticized about that cartridge for a while, then I came to the reality that it would make much more sense to buy a .260 and just download it.
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

  11. #11
    Member Beavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Cape
    Posts
    3,834
    I have just started loading for mine. 16" AR. Initially I haven't got the velocity I had hoped for, compared to what others have reported, but it is early days yet. I am using a Lapua case full of CFE223, a 123gr SST loaded to mag length, lit with a CCI 450. At 32gr I was getting 2415fps. Should theoretically be up around 2480-2500, but that was the last bit of cfe I had, will need to work up again when I get another batch. Still beats .223 pretty convincingly on paper from the platform.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I think @rambo-6mmrem bought a Howa 6.5 Grendal. Latest R&R mag did a basic write up on it in the latest issue. Most criticized item is the mag on the Howa.
    I'm just mucking around with one now, a Sako Vixen converted run the Grendel, but still got some assembly work etc to do before I can report any actual first hand stuff. Plenty of American hype on the net. Kiwi Greg's just got an AR punching single hole groups.
    Yeah I brought a howa mini 6.5 grendel about 6 months ago great little gun very accurate 0.334" best group so far
    Avg arround.5 or just under

  13. #13
    res
    res is offline
    Member res's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wellywood
    Posts
    3,196
    I have a pile of parts waiting for me to build a 18" one
    Using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Member viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Rabbitvegas
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Yeah I brought a howa mini 6.5 grendel about 6 months ago great little gun very accurate 0.334" best group so far
    Avg arround.5 or just under
    Good feed back, that's model I was looking at. Do they retail for the same price as the 223 version ?
    Also if you were going to build one do you start with a .223 action or something like a 243 ?

  15. #15
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    2,436
    Either start with a 223 sized bolt face & open it out to suit or get rifle chambered in 7.63x39 & rebarrel. A 243 bolt face is too large.

    Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 6.5 grendel
    By rambo-6mmrem in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 15-02-2017, 05:32 PM
  2. Another deer with the Grendel
    By Norway in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16-04-2016, 08:11 PM
  3. Grendel
    By steven in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 11:18 PM
  4. Anyone playing with 6.5 Grendel
    By specweapon in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-07-2014, 07:09 PM
  5. 6.5 Grendel Ammunition
    By gimp in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-05-2013, 01:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!