Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 6.5 Grendel,, any users out there.

What loads are you guys running

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Good feed back, that's model I was looking at. Do they retail for the same price as the 223 version ?
    Also if you were going to build one do you start with a .223 action or something like a 243 ?
    I think I paid 850 with rings and scope only saved 50 buy buying a bare rifle so chucked scope on trademe
    All up bill was arround 1200 or maybe a little over betime I brought lapua brass dies projectiles powder etc etc im a poor bugger so all this made a lot of empty space in the gun safe well worth it though
    Honestly I think i like it more than my truflite barreled tikka 260
    At the moment if i was going hunting for fallow goats or even smaller reds it would be the rifle of choice

Loves a 100gn seirra varmint hollow point
    32.3gn cfe223 and a cci br4 loaded to 2.200"
    That's a light load ive had 34gn cfe223 with no pressure signs
    Cfe223 although there's no published data for it meny rekon
    Its the best power for grendel and i tend to agree
    Check out Welcome to the 6.5 Grendel Forum : : The World's Tier One AR Cartridge its a great forum dedicated to only 6.5 grendel
    Wildman likes this.

Buy a 7.62x39 and use Highland factory 123gr SP ammo.
    Taken 4 deer and heaps of goats with my AR7.62x39 in the past 18 months, all of them one shot kills. Not knocking the .223 but after loosing a stag that was hit hard in the boiler room with a .223, in fairness to the animal, I only use my .223 for rabbits now.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Another option to consider thats great on the lighter deer, 6x45 (6mm 223) Simple re-barrel on a 223 with a 6mm, 1:8 - 1:10 are best. 75-87gr bullets work really well for 2900-3100 fps depending on weight.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Taken 4 deer and heaps of goats with my AR7.62x39 in the past 18 months, all of them one shot kills. Not knocking the .223 but after loosing a stag that was hit hard in the boiler room with a .223, in fairness to the animal, I only use my .223 for rabbits now.
    Sorry but no 6.5 grendel is in a hole driffrent league
    Its performance is far beyond what a 762x39 could do
    I agree that the 39 is a fantastic bush gun
    I had one which is one of the guns i sold to buy the grendel
    But the grendel is far better 123gn at 2750 100gn at almost 3000
    Better bc's could easily shoot a deer at 400 with the right loading 762 is limited to 150 200 if your good

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Another option to consider thats great on the lighter deer, 6x45 (6mm 223) Simple re-barrel on a 223 with a 6mm, 1:8 - 1:10 are best. 75-87gr bullets work really well for 2900-3100 fps depending on weight.
    If you are going to that amount of trouble the 204 ruger is a much better parent case than the 223

I even have a 244-204 Ruger reamer

One I built was going over 3k with the 87 SP Hornady with 30 grains of powder, http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...mm-204-a-2456/

whats the plan @viper - is this for a stand alone rifle for the Deer/Pigs or a dual purpose Varmint/Deer rifle ?

Rossi 7.62 x 39 | Trade Me

this might be an alternative . . . carry it packed in a day bag while Rabbit shooting

R.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Yeah I like that dirty little Russian cartridge as well Hot Barrels but the boys are right, it's not even on the planet as the Grendel .
    Mathias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    whats the plan @viper - is this for a stand alone rifle for the Deer/Pigs or a dual purpose Varmint/Deer rifle ?

Rossi 7.62 x 39 | Trade Me

this might be an alternative . . . carry it packed in a day bag while Rabbit shooting

R.
    Hey Mate, good question. I had no desire to return to a centre fire rifle, my love ( total loathing ) for reloading just killed the .223 varmint experience for me.
    I am totally in love with my little HMR and it is perfect for both cost of running and the ground I hunt.

However a mate brought me in a freshly shot fallow deer and that's the problem........it tastes soooooooooooooooo fucken good

So then I thought about it and a customer wants to exchange a few deer for my services ( trade ) and I started looking at another .223. The latest H&F catalogue has the Howa mini in there for around a Grand scoped, in the small print it mentions the other calibres also available . Amongst them was the Grendel, did some research out of curiosity and it looks very cool and very effective.
    Yes it was going to be a stand alone Medium game rifle but apparently they also make a good varmint round so I have some versatility .
    The bulk of my shooting will still be .22lr and 17 HMR but the Grendel lets me do some of the longer stuff if I want.
    Tahr, gadgetman and rossi.45 like this.

no brainer then . . . go the Gendel
    viper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Yeah I like that dirty little Russian cartridge as well Hot Barrels but the boys are right, it's not even on the planet as the Grendel .
    If you are only hunting Fellow, don't over gun yourself. One thing that works in the favour of the 7.62x39 is that it has enough energy to take down an animal with a single round, but is low in terms of hydrodynamic shock (if that is the correct term) due to the bullet being designed to perform at lower velocities so the loss of prime meat to bad bruising is negligible. I harvest my goats for the table and when you compare an animal shot with the 7.62x39 versus a.308, .243, or even a .223, there is way less meat damage. A fellow isn't very big and too tasty to waste.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    no brainer then . . . go the Gendel
    Yep, I agree. Will make a great intermediate gun and the Howa is off the shelf. There's a small choice of factory ammo, Hornady do a couple of different 123gr, the Amax & SST. If you do go with reloading then the 120gr Sierra could be a good one. Thats going to be my trial bullet for a start.
    rossi.45 likes this.

Name:  images (19).jpg
Views: 687
Size:  24.0 KB

thats impressive power, over a1000 pounds of energy at 400yds . . with premium ammo available for the non-reloader

and extra power will come in handy if you run across a good Pig . . . . Fallow you'll be able to tip over easily right out to max range, perfect for Central Otago conditions, the more i read the more i like the look of the Grendel.
    Last edited by rossi.45; 25-08-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Yeah they pack a fair punch for a small cartridge
    I will stick to 100gn bullets as I have the 260 to push 120's for the bigger stuff but a 123gn a-max at arround 2750 with a good handload would make it into an ideal mid range target/hunting rifle for smaller species of deer and goats

Here's mine
    Name:  IMG_0411.JPG
Views: 705
Size:  426.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0019.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  179.5 KB

If you are only hunting Fellow, don't over gun yourself. One thing that works in the favour of the 7.62x39 is that it has enough energy to take down an animal with a single round, but is low in terms of hydrodynamic shock (if that is the correct term) due to the bullet being designed to perform at lower velocities so the loss of prime meat to bad bruising is negligible. I harvest my goats for the table and when you compare an animal shot with the 7.62x39 versus a.308, .243, or even a .223, there is way less meat damage. A fellow isn't very big and too tasty to waste.
    Thanks HotBarrels, brother you are preaching to the converted, I've had an SKS and loved the round, it's a life taker for sure. Typically Russian, no frills and designed and built with a clear mandate. However my shooting down here will range from 50 to 600 mtrs.
    The 7.62x39 doesn't reach out far enough. The area's can be quite open and getting closer will not always be practical or an option.
    Have a look at the Grendel on line, very impressive , bit of a freak that works.
    This isn't a project I even wanted to go down. I have shot Deer and don't enjoy it, to date I have dropped 11 and let at last count 63 animals go.... I had meat in the freezer and just enjoyed watching them .
    The rifle needs to be versatile / effective and FUN.
    I plan to buy a dual purpose motorbike , strap the rifle over my back, drop a Fallow , bone it out and ride out ( picture riding into a perfect sunset, world class scenery, cold beer and large breasted naked women ) ahhhh.... all done with a $1000 Howa...does it get any better.....and don't worry mate, every donkey will be head shot so no meat lost. I'll let you know when the BBQs on the hotties are serving the cold beer.Name:  d7ec67d2ce8b5ef2ba695ee87195a258--heineken-funny-photos.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  9.6 KB