Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Reloading .223/5.56 for an AR15

Buy a case guage.
    These are a must. I use this type for both 223 and 300 blackout.
    Sheridan Engineering - Slotted Ammunition Gauges
    Simo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben-tard View Post
    For a short (12.5") barrel would BM2 be better again? or is 2206H the go? running Hornady 68gr BTHP's

Lots of handy info in this thread,

Cheers,
    You would need to try it and see. Conventional wisdom is the shorter the barrel the faster the burn rate you should use. Supposedly the powder that gives the fastest speed in a long barrel will give the fastest speed in a short barrel, generally mean a slower burning powder. I think the truth is somewhere in between. From what i have observed personally 2206H is a good go to powder if you desire decent velocity in a shorter barreled .223.

With 68gr HP, 26gr 2206h

16"~ 2850fps
    14.5"~2800fps

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    You would need to try it and see. Conventional wisdom is the shorter the barrel the faster the burn rate you should use. Supposedly the powder that gives the fastest speed in a long barrel will give the fastest speed in a short barrel, generally mean a slower burning powder. I think the truth is somewhere in between. From what i have observed personally 2206H is a good go to powder if you desire decent velocity in a shorter barreled .223.

With 68gr HP, 26gr 2206h

16"~ 2850fps
    14.5"~2800fps
    Couldn't get any 2206h last time I was buying powder, got a couple of tubs of cfe223 instead. Thoughts on that? I haven't loaded any yet, would be behind 55gr corelokts for goats, 55gr campro fmj for service rifle. Have about the right amount for the projectiles I had sitting waiting at the time so shrugged and thought why not. It does look like it'll go through a thrower a bit nicer than the noodles of doom 2206h that my Lyman didn't like.. I'll do my goat stuff through the auto dispenser though, low enough numbers.

I wasn't terribly thrilled with CFE 223. Got pretty much the same results as I did with 748 and H335. Found it's real messy shit that sticks to everything. Velocity at max charge is low. Murom primers dont ignite it very well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Couldn't get any 2206h last time I was buying powder, .
    Try Broncos Sports in Tauranga, $65/500gr container
    Broncos Outdoors - Hunting - Fishing - Camping - Aparrel

and they ship.

Full Length Size each time for a nice smooth feed.
    Crimp, only because someone told me too. May not be necessary if bullet seating nice and tight. Its probably more for if you don't end up firing for whatever the reason(say just shot something) and need to clear chamber to make safe, last thing you want is bullet stuck in barrel.
    Don't bother chamfering, can if you wish. Trim to close enough.

Hunting load 65gr Seirra GameKing's 24gr BM2 COAL 2.25" for a 1/7 twist 5.56 chamber 16" Barrel, somewhere around 2720 fps?

Super accurate load
    Hornady 75gr HPBT 21gr BM2, very accurate like .3" groups, but slow 2400 fps. Load long to mag will allow
    Would be worth a play around with these as did test groups up till 23grs book max and none over 1.5" but the low loads accuracy is just so flattering didn't know rifle was even capable of this.

Note: a 5.56 chamber is slightly longer than .223 or a .223 Wylde
    As mentioned above a chamber case gauge, 55 gr bullets are no hassle but if you are trying to load longer and more accurate 65g+ (insert disclaimer:don't try this at home) in a safe direction you really need to try feed some from magazine and into battery as rifle action is designed to work. Working action slowly can be misleading and perfectly good ammo not feed.

Ar mags are of varying lengths on the inside with the metal ones being able to load out a bit longer normally. Someone should design a hybrid lower and some longer mags!
    Hope some of this helps.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Hornady 55gr S.P 25gr or more specific 25.3gr BM2 (around 2900fps) found best but just couldn't get loads going in same league as above ones for accuracy unfortunately

Hi I am shooting a Rock River Arms 20" Predator. My recipe is 23.8gr AR2208 under Hornady 75gr HP Match at 2560fps this shoots 3/4moa consistently and has allowed me to take rabbits out past 500m. My light load is 24.2gr BM2 under Sierra 60gr HP at 2850fps with the same accuracy. Both are loaded as long as will fit in the mag. Full length sized using Redding neck bushing dies. Fed match primers.
    Have fun