Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Tankd
  • 4 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By Max Headroom
  • 1 Post By Andrew11
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By Rock river arms hunter
  • 1 Post By Tommy

Thread: Reloading 9mm

Reloading 9mm

Gidday guys.
    Could one of you kind gentlemen please point me in the right direction. I am new to reloading and am starting off with 9mm. I have the press/dies etc now am just in need of powder but there is so bloody many to choose from.

What would a normal/universal powder be? I am shooting 124gr projectiles and it’s only for target shooting .
    Thank you in advance . Cheers

Banned
    I would suggest that such a question indicates to me that you need to be learning a bit more about reloading.
    Read a manual or 2 and or do some googling

For powder choices go to ADI Home - ADI World Class Powders and Ammunition .
    For other information , Youtube is a good resource and your other club members should be another .

For powder choices go to ADI Home - ADI World Class Powders and Ammunition .
    For other information , Youtube is a good resource and your other club members should be another .
    Andrew11 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by widerange View Post
    I would suggest that such a question indicates to me that you need to be learning a bit more about reloading.
    Read a manual or 2 and or do some googling
    Ohh ouch. Your assuming I’m quite incompetent hey. Not to worry maybe I should rephrase my question. I’m wanting to know. In the Forum members experience , which powders they like for pistol reloading. Because as I have done quite a bit of research- it indicates to me that there is some shit powder. I’m sure there’s guys here with years of reloading experience that certainly know the good/bad and the ugly.

R93
    There are heaps of good powders that suit the 9mm
    I use Titegroup as I get it cheap and it works well with both 124s and what I have settled on now with 147s.
    Runs really clean and is consistent over the radar.

Got up to 1200 rnds thru a new gun yesterday and still haven't had a malfunction.
    I use an optic on a gun that is supposed to dirty the glass of the optic a lot and I haven't had any issues with mine and maybe that can be down to the powder I'm not sure.
    Brass doest hit the optic and it's always clean which is surprising seeing the combination I have, is used by a lot of people in the states and they hate how dirty the glass gets after a couple hundred rnds.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Me, I use 5gn of WSF( Winchester Super Field) powder behind 9mm 124gn RN projectiles.

For fiocchi cases which are said to have smaller volume, I use 4.7 gn of WSF.

Time for you to get hold of some loading manuals which have data for powders inside.

Look for ADI (which you can also find as a PDF online) Winchester, Hodgdon, Alliant, Vihtavouri. IMR

ADI will no doubt be the easiest cheapest pistol powder to get hold of.
    Andrew11 likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Thanks for the info Guys, much appreciated .
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Ahhhh I remember getting 15000 reloads from a tin of powder Oh those wonderfull small grain charges. I would ask around at your club as to what the general consensus is. I used to like W231 but that was when powder was under 30 bucks. It seemed to cycle well and group well too.

I always used W231 in 9mm, N320 in the .40S&W and Vhitavouri 3n38 in the 38Super
    Never saw a reason to change, just buy the components in bulk when available
    R93 likes this.

Get in touch with @NZ_noddy for titegroup.

One of the guys here runs 124gr Rusa with titegroup.

And he has no issues no have I had any from running titegroup in 40cal.

If you have a burning hole in your pocket Vihtavouri is very nice but not cheap!
    seano likes this.

There are tons of powders for 9mm and you will find some variance in how they perform. I load about 5K to 10K of 9mm a year and I still experiment with different powders and bullets. 9mm can keep you busy for a long time with all the variations you can do.

Titegroup is very good and consistent and very economical. I'd say the only thing with Titegroup is depending on the load it is possible to double charge it if you are not paying attention.

I use Power Pistol for harder hitting higher velocity loads for various guns I have.

W231 works good, Unique works good but is dirtier.

Haven't tried Vihtavouri yet but a lot of people like it.

Thanks guys for the awesome info. As usual there is some great knowledge out there that i appreciate we can tap into

N320 or Titegroup. @Beaker swears by the N320
    Beaker likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Titegroup around 3.9gr & 1.1-1.2" OAL with 124gr would be a good starting recipe. Should be accurate and cheap and normally available.